Hydraulic steering - 'Orbital Valves'

tuck

spud crawler
for reference.. I have a danfoss orbital, and the displacement is somewhere around 6 cu. in. or whatever they measure it in.. with a 2x8 ram it is about 3 turns to lock in one direction, and a little less than 3 in the other direction. With a single ended ram, you'll get more turns to lock in one direction than the other.

i have this setup on a wagoneer with 113" wheelbase, SOA and 35's on full-width axles, and it's pretty easy to drive up to about 45 mph, and then it gets a little tense on a single lane road.

the fastest i have gone is probably 60-65mph, and not sustained for a very long period of time :eek:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
A 2 year update on this thread.

I've had this steering system for over 2 years now and it is solid. (2 x 8 Ram, 211-1010-002 Char-lynn valve, stock saginaw pump, small cooler on return)

Also felt really solid when I had the buggy up to ~65 mph, although that was only a few times and on pavement w/ 5 psi in my tires.

On occassion I do the gas well trails in Price at speeds up to 45 - 50 mph on straight aways with no worry at all.

Would I recommend it for a daily driver? Probably not, because even the smallest difference in the system could have different effects for different vehicles. If you lived in a small town with a 2 minute commute, why not...