Hydro-Assist ????

Addiction

Life is Good!!
I am running 38X14.5 on my JK. I have not had any problems with the gear box, or any other steering component. My reason for posting the question is, when I am in a tight section of trail or on top of and obstacle in 4low with lockers on its almost impossible to turn. I have been told that Hydro-Assist would help.

It seems that there are two options PCS or Redneck. There is quite a difference in price to start with. The questions I have are:

1) Is Hydro-Assist legal in Utah?
2) Do you have to replace the Gear box or does the OME work?
3) If something breaks on the Hydro-Assist while driving do you still have control? Are you still able to drive?

Is there any additional information I need to know about Hydro-Assist?

Corban_White

1) Yes.
2) The factory one will work. It will need to be drilled ant tapped for the hoses.
3) Yes. Yes. If the HA breaks it will be the same as you have now. You will have to plug any leaks so that all your PS fluid doesn't leak out.

utah340six

in my jeep with the jk axels running chev power stearing pump not so bad.
but when im done with any were i need the lockers i turn them off to stop were on drive train.
i only lock the rear when needed and the front on real hard climbs then turn them off right after im done.
i have 2 jeeps with lockers.
drive them the same way.
less were and tear.

leorn

reset
It's always best to turn the lockers off when possible, having said that, there are times when you need to turn when they are engaged and hydro-assist fixes that. One of the best mods I have done.

Addiction

Life is Good!!
1) Yes.
2) The factory one will work. It will need to be drilled ant tapped for the hoses.
3) Yes. Yes. If the HA breaks it will be the same as you have now. You will have to plug any leaks so that all your PS fluid doesn't leak out.

Thanks Corban for the answers.

I really like having the electric lockers, I don't run the lockers all the time while wheeling. Its only when you need lockers and in a tight spot that I think the Hydro-assist would be nice.

Bob B

I have installed a bunch of the psc kits on jk's. They are expensive, but work well. They are fully legal, the psc kit comes with a new gearbox, (i haven't tapped a jk one yet), and as far as breaking, usually its just a hydro line that lets go, just carry some caps to cap off the hydro ports then it will be just like stock.

Like many have said on here, turning off the front locker will help take load off of the front axle components(R&P, u-joints blah blah), and it will help you turn sharper. It you want to go one step further with that, tera sells a
2lo range selector. This just allows you to stay in low range, but be in rear wheel drive only.

Max Power

Bryce
I would just go with the PSC kit on your Jeep. You won't regret doing it right the first time. My brother loves his PSC steering on his buggy. You can turn the wheel with the locker engaged with your pinky.

Addiction

Life is Good!!
I have heard a couple guys say that having Hydro-Assist is awesome on the trail when you are locked, but that normal driving seems to be tighter and a bit harder to turn???

sixstringsteve

When I had hydro assist on my last rig, it was just like super power steering. It was on a toyota, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not, but it was better than a stock truck with stock power steering, even at high speeds. All it really does is help your steering box out. It's like having a buddy help you lift weights. Your box doesn't work as hard since the hydralic ram is helping push the steering around too. 4wd, 2wd, lockers on, lockers off, no negatives or decreases in performance over what you have now.

Hydro assist would have solved all my steering problems in moab.

Addiction

Life is Good!!
^^ Ya, I am guessing that would have helped you out a ton.

I am trying to coupe with spending another $1800 on the jeep right now.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
i thought i would want hydro assist on mine when i put in the front locker but it wasnt to bad, however if i was to go with it id use the redneck ram stuff they are cheaper and seem high quailty. All the guys on ih8mud love there stuff and my dad has got steering boxes from them that have proven to be top notch

leorn

reset
Wow. My toyota has a cheapie trail-gear kit. It has worked flawlessly and by the time I bought the tap, fluid, jy cooler, jy reservoir, I bet I was into it $275. You can do it even cheaper than that with surplus center parts...

Road handling is better than without it for me (drilled out restrictor) just have to get used to the no return to center.

ozzy702

Wow. My toyota has a cheapie trail-gear kit. It has worked flawlessly and by the time I bought the tap, fluid, jy cooler, jy reservoir, I bet I was into it $275. You can do it even cheaper than that with surplus center parts...

Road handling is better than without it for me (drilled out restrictor) just have to get used to the no return to center.

There's still return to center, it's just sluggish and a little delayed. I agree, my truck drives MUCH nicer with the hydro assist than without it.