Hydro boost issues

JimRico

Rico
Just installed a booster from a Chevy Astro with a steering box from a Cherokee and a pump out of an Isuzu caus I needed the V-belt pulley on it.

The problem is the pump sucks all the fluid out the reservoir, which I got from the Isuzu. If I keep putting more PS fluid in it when it's running, it overfills the reservoir when I kill the engine. What a mess let me tell you.

I tried setting it up where it almost fills the res when stopped but totally empties it when running. I can see it returning but not fast enough to feed the pump. This res had some filter screens that are not cleanable so I poked a hole thru it. It returns faster but still empties the res out. Probably putting air in system. I tried running it and shutting it down and letting the foam/bubbles disipate 4-5 times but with it running so low into the PS pump it's proly just putting more air back in.

Do I need a bigger res? It's decent size already. or do I need to bleed the system in some way?
:confused:
Anyone got an idea?

lewis

Fight Till You Die
sounds like you still have air in it. How does the pump sound? are you cycling the steering back and forth a bunch of times?

driver920

cycle the steering back and forth sevral time with it NOT running it will draw the fluid through the system with out the pump foaming it up

Last edited:

JimRico

Rico
Figured it out. Was putting air back in because the res had filters that were plugged. One on the return input and another on the outer part to the inner. Nothing a drill couldn't fix. Just got one more brake line with air in it.

Thanks for the help pointing me in the right direction.