Hydro ebrake

Greanbeans

Have any of you guys ran a hydro ebrake setup for a rear disc 14 bolt or period. Only things I've seen em for is drift cars that run dual calipers or work em off the regular caliper which I want to do on mine. But I haven't been able to find a locking hydro ebrake that I could use in my jeep. Any info would be much appreciated and accepted

STAG

On my grind
My brother had one in his FJ40 crawler with 1ton axles. It worked pretty well as a parking brake. We also have one on one of our companies little dump trucks. The dump truck one is DOT compliant and something like $500. The FJ40 one was not, and was like $50 or something.

Greanbeans

I know that's the major problem with the hydro ebrake is being dot compliant even though if memory serves regarding ebrake sis that it must hold the vehicle from moving but I'll have to double check that cause the factory one in my jeep now barely works. I'm sure I wouldn't have a problem with passing safety with hydro setup though

Greanbeans

I've already priced everything minus the actual brake handle part of my rear axle swap I'm going to be doing in my cherokee later in the year, including brackets and calipers and rotors

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Never heard of them, but it seems like to be legal, the park brake must be mechanical so that the hold pressure could never bleed off. That is why a line lock will not pass a safety.

UFAB

The electric line locks work great.

Manual button style are not the greatest. Lever type way better.

Summit racing has them all.

Old school stuff for sure

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Greanbeans

Yeah the only mechanical like cable operated ebrake that I've found for a disk swapped 14bolt is Eldorado calipers and I haven't heard the best about them as far as holding power

thenag

I have the Eldo calipers got the new $ones$ from the company that sells the new ones, I could find it if needed.

There is a reason GM only used that style parking brake for a few years on a big heavy vehicle, it is not a great design. Mine will hold my jeep in a gentle driveway but that is about it. I have it setup perfectly. Mine is a parking brake, if my breaks go out I will be down shifting or hitting something to stop. (but it does currently work better than the parking brake in my f250 which also passes inspection sooooo)

The hydro parking brake has come up on RME before, I think we decided that there is a difference between DOT and will pass utah saftey.

I seem to remember someone making some disk brake brackets for the 14 bolt (and others) that had provisions for the GM front style caliper and a smaller caliper for the parking brake.

In the Utah vehicle inspection manual all it seems to say (page 40)
http://publicsafety.utah.gov/highwaypatrol/safetyinspections/docs/2011-2012 SI PLT Manual.pdf

"M. PARKING BRAKE
1. Check holding ability.
a. REJECT when:
1) Parking brake does not operate or fails to hold vehicle.
2. Check ratchet or the locking device.
a. REJECT when:
1) Ratchet, pawl or other"

So nothing about having to be mechanical, it just has to hold the vehicle. A simple hydraulic system should pass inspection, but I don't think anyone has done it.

Also if you find a little hyro master cylinder that you can rig up to the factory e-brake lever be sure to take pics of that, because I want one too!

Here is a link to look at too
http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2989860

Nathan
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?83436-Nathan-and-Tanja-s-99-XJ-Build-up

Last edited: