Hydro steering ram mount options

1993yj

In looking at how I am going to fit my ram for my full hydro steering, things are going to be tight, specifically, being able to remove the diff cover and carrier with where I have the ram mocked up at.
2014-01-29 12.40.52 (Copy).jpg2014-01-29 16.49.59.jpg2014-01-29 16.49.42.jpg

I think that my options are:

1. Have the ram offset to the passenger side. Currently each tie rod is 11" long (heim mount to heim mount). In order to mount the ram so that I would be able to remove the carrier I would have to do the passenger tie rod at 6.5" and driver side at 15.5". I know that ideally I want to have the ram centered though.

2. Make the mount removable. I have seen where a few people have done this, partially by having one end of the mount welded to the diff cover. I would prefer not to weld to the diff cover, and if the ram is centered, that would be hard to do anyways. I was toying with the idea of making the mount removable with some interlocking tube clamps, similar to a front shock hoop brace. I am worried though that there will be too much stress on those clamps and they will either crack or shear. Below is my rough sketch of what the mount would be like.
id_tube_clamp_tmr.jpgram mount.jpg

What is the lesser of the two evils, offset ram or removable mount?

STAG

On my grind
I'm confused as to why you are running into this problem. Hundreds of people have put full hydraulic rams on their axles with no issues?

What if you put your ram mount behind the axle and run your steering arms backwards? It's what I was going to do.

Rock Taco

You need a RuffStuff diff with jrat drop out 60 center section. Then you can weld to the axle no problem. :D

I say the removable mounts. Another solution would be to get a different cover that would be better to weld part of your mount to and have that section removable.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
If an off-center ram would bother you, then just offset the mount and leave the cylinder centered. Like, make a skid-platey mount, that angles over and only welds to the long side axle tube.

1993yj

So as I am over thinking this (as my brother has pointed out) in trying to get the ram installed in the perfect location, and without much left in the budget to redo a bunch of stuff, I think I will just push the ram a bit further forward so that the diff cover can be removed, and when the time comes that the carrier needs to be removed, if I can't get it out at that point I will cut the tubes and make portions removable. I figure doing it this way will ensure that the carrier will have to be pulled sooner rather than later, but it gets me done sooner and on budget for the moment.