hydro steering

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
You are required to have a mechanical (sp?) link to the steering so that you can still steer it in the case of a total loss of power.

:nod: exactly. But not really power, in case you loose fluid, power etc. Most full hydro systems still allow you to steer even with loss of engine, but that isn't good enough...

But I believe some states allow this, but some don't. This is why hydro assist is real popular - because it is legal.

Unichev

There is nothing stating you must have a mechanical linkage anywhere in the inspection laws.

If you have a balanced system thats matched together well and use quality components there is no safety issues what so ever.

The steering on my blue truck felt better with the Full Hydraulic then it did with the Hydraulic assist. Thats because it had a load reactive, open center orbitrol valve, and a matched double ended cylinder, and high quality hoses. The Hydraulic assist was an AGR rockram system the was pretty good, but it always seemed you had to wait for the hydraulics to work. The Full Hydraulic would let me turn it as fast as I could with no lag what so ever. It also had return to center feel just like a mechanical linkage.

On the other hand, you could probably get a ticket from the Highway Patrol and have no way to fight it. If they feel its unsafe, I believe they can ticket you, even there is no law on it.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
The steering on my blue truck felt better with the Full Hydraulic then it did with the Hydraulic assist. Thats because it had a load reactive, open center orbitrol valve, and a matched double ended cylinder, and high quality hoses. The Hydraulic assist was an AGR rockram system the was pretty good, but it always seemed you had to wait for the hydraulics to work. The Full Hydraulic would let me turn it as fast as I could with no lag what so ever. It also had return to center feel just like a mechanical linkage.

This almost verbatim what I hear from anyone that has installed a GOOD full hydro system - better than stock. But that doesn't make it legal. :-\

1993yj

This has been covered many times before already, on full hydro threads. I just think that it is lame that some of the biggest trucks that drive on the roads (cement trucks, etc.) are setup full hydro, yet smaller ones cant be.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
This has been covered many times before already, on full hydro threads. I just think that it is lame that some of the biggest trucks that drive on the roads (cement trucks, etc.) are setup full hydro, yet smaller ones cant be.

I agree to a point... But I also think they should have mechanical steering if they are on the highway....

redrock

I agree to a point... But I also think they should have mechanical steering if they are on the highway....

I called the highway patrol today and he could not find anything in his books so he is doing some more research and is going to come and look at the kit and give the ok or the hell no lmao

Steve

Who Cares?
I called the highway patrol today and he could not find anything in his books so he is doing some more research and is going to come and look at the kit and give the ok or the hell no lmao

Wow. So, there's no law on the books against it, but each individual LEO is allowed to simply look at something and tell you if it's legal or not - regardless of any law against it? That's simply amazing. How did such a system come to exist in UT?

There are a number of heavy trucks with no mechanical connection and they're legal. There are also a few very high end cars with "fly by wire" steering, again with no mechanical connection. I gotta think that either all must have a mechanical connection, or full hydro is legal - period.

While I love wheeling in UT I'm sure glad I don't have to abide by the seemingly stupid and arbitrary laws about vehicles.

redrock

Wow. So, there's no law on the books against it, but each individual LEO is allowed to simply look at something and tell you if it's legal or not - regardless of any law against it? That's simply amazing. How did such a system come to exist in UT?

There are a number of heavy trucks with no mechanical connection and they're legal. There are also a few very high end cars with "fly by wire" steering, again with no mechanical connection. I gotta think that either all must have a mechanical connection, or full hydro is legal - period.

While I love wheeling in UT I'm sure glad I don't have to abide by the seemingly stupid and arbitrary laws about vehicles.

Like i say he is researching it,, 4x4 places say they are not legal,,,inspection stations have no clue and the highpatrol is looking in to it lmao

it don't really matter to me either way,,I will either install it or sell it,,,,,win win for me either way :p

R

rockdog

Damn, wish you drove a toyota. I'd trade you my hydro assist set up and what ever cash difference we agreed on.:(

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com

That was something else I was going to mention. If an inspection station fails it, then you can take it down to the HP and they will inspect it and either pass or fail it. I've heard of this taking a while, and they keep your rig, too for the entire time.

Unichev

Has anyone found a law on Hydro steering?
Its definately easier me to say there is no law, then it is for someone to say there is a law. They have to find it, I dont.

Pretty sure there is nothing that says you cant have it. Or about it has to be mechanical.

troutbum

cubi-kill
urban legend that it is explicitly illegal. There is nothing I have found which says so. For all the guys saying it is, find me the code.

The closest I have found is
utah code said:
A person may not operate on any highway within the state a motor vehicle that is mechanically altered or changed:
(a) in any way that may cause the vehicle body or chassis to come in contact with the roadway, expose the fuel tank to damage from collision, or cause the wheels to come in contact with the body under normal operation;
(b) in any manner that may impair the safe operation of the vehicle;

The sh!tty part of utah law is who determines what is unsafe?