I bought a suburban what should I do?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I got a 91 1500 with a tbi 350 and an auto.I am looking into making it into a camping/tow rig. I what to change out the axles. Are 3/4 axles a bolt in swap? Also would 3/4 ton springs help to be more stable when I tow with it, Also any ideas for some good decently affordable power upgrades? What else should I do. What size of lift? Any other sugestions for those of you who have one. Don't say sell it and buy a diesel I would if I could. Thanks.

hammerhead

Junkyard Dog
For my wifes Burb (doubles as my tow rig) a hot chip, a K&N filter and a Flowmaster exhaust system made a huge improvement. We also put in a 400 crank when freshing-up the motor and this baby runs great. And when you keep your foot out of it you can get above 15 MPGs. I keep telling her that if she wrecks it I get the engine for my Landcruiser... hehehe

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
A 1/2 Burb is a good tow rig stock. Depending on your plans for it I wouldnt worry about drivetrain upgrades past a tranny and oil cooler.

Marc will know more about this, but I believe that the TBI era didnt respond to mods well if you didn't chip it at the same time.

neagtea

Supporting Member
A chip was no change for me. Throttle body spacer exhaust and 4.10's helped the most also a k&n. Don't tow heavy stuff in OD the 700 will hate it
(4 trannys in 120,000 miles two of them 1600 dollar goodwrench ones)also put an external cooler on it. The 91 will probably have a oil cooler on it.
Live with 40 mph over soldier summit or spend big bucks. My 91 has pulled a heavy cj 4200# on a 2100# trailer all over the western states. I would prefer a 1 ton truck but I like no payments. And my motor home tows better. remember it is a 350ci and big power gains cost big bucks.
THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
neagtea said:
A chip was no change for me. Throttle body spacer exhaust and 4.10's helped the most also a k&n. Don't tow heavy stuff in OD the 700 will hate it
(4 trannys in 120,000 miles two of them 1600 dollar goodwrench ones)also put an external cooler on it. The 91 will probably have a oil cooler on it.
Live with 40 mph over soldier summit or spend big bucks. My 91 has pulled a heavy cj 4200# on a 2100# trailer all over the western states. I would prefer a 1 ton truck but I like no payments. And my motor home tows better. remember it is a 350ci and big power gains cost big bucks.
THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT.

That pretty much sums it up for me. Both my '89 trucks had factory oil coolers. 4.10s with a 32-33" tire are the way to go, IMHO. If you tow a LOT, I'd add airbags or swap over to a 3/4 ton spring. The 3/4 axles will 'bolt-in', but you'll have a bunch of little things, e-brake lines, driveshafts, 8 lug wheels/tires, etc. that'll add up. Worth the work, though. I've never added power to mine except for a decent exhaust.

The 10 bolt is a total pile in something that heavy. There are 6 lug semi-float 14 bolts that'd be worth a try, though.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
It looks like 4.10s are a good idea. Also an exhaust and a K&N. If I go with a chip what are some good options. I think I might go with some 3/4 ton springs.
I am glad there are some of you who have already gone this route so I don't have to make as many mistakes as I would have. As far as the K&N should I just get a factory replacement or try to get one with an intake tube?

mbryson

Supporting Member
mesha said:
It looks like 4.10s are a good idea. Also an exhaust and a K&N. If I go with a chip what are some good options. I think I might go with some 3/4 ton springs.
I am glad there are some of you who have already gone this route so I don't have to make as many mistakes as I would have. As far as the K&N should I just get a factory replacement or try to get one with an intake tube?

There are guys that'll burn a custom PROM for you. Check out www.thirdgen.org......... It's a Camaro/Firechicken site, but some of them know their stuff. I do more reading than anything over there.

I don't know that the K&N will get you much, if anything. I certainly don't know of an intake tube for that air cleaner assembly. I've just turned the cover over. This is controversial as it lets in 'warm' engine compartment air rather than 'cool' air from the snorkel. I seemed to get better throttle response, FWIW. It's also a little noisier 'toilet flushing' sound......

cowmilker

SUPER CHEESY
My 95 TBI K1500 has just about the same engine. Here are some ideas I've wanted to try:
bigger exhaust, edelbrock performer plus cam (they have one specificaly designed for TBI small blocks), edelbrock intake (again one for TBI's), edelbrock TES headers, TBI spacer/Injector spacer, replace engine driven fan with electric (some advertizements claim 2-3mpg and 10-15% hp increase), use 1.6 roller rockers instead of 1.5 (increases valve lift without pulling front of motor apart to do cam).

What I have done (or had been done before I bought it):
K&N filter (E1500 not FIPK) works good, Tornado fuel saver (added at same time as K&N, I'm not sure if the "increased power" comes from either or both but there IS increased power, and maybe 0.5-0.8 mpg), air blatter "helper springs" (on it when I bought it) helps make it stable for towing but it takes away the smoothness of a 1/2 ton (probably not as bad as regular helper springs).
I love my Suburban, until its time to gas up!

ALF

SURE!?
I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record but for everything you would ever want to know about GM trucks blazers or burbs go to www.coloradok5.com

There are tons of companies out on the net now custom burning chips for TBI but for best results do all your mods at first and then have on burned.

As for springs for 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton you have regular and HD the only differance is spring rate I preffer std springs HD ride harder. Stick with Tuff Country or BDS they're the only spring to run on a leaf sprung GM unless you can afford Alcans.

3/4 ton axles are direct bolt in swap

mbryson

Supporting Member
Desert Dino said:
........Marc, any idea what the 14 you speak of came in?.........
I'm pretty sure Carl had one in the 'Stain'. I think they're in 'heavy half' or 'light 3/4 ton' IFS trucks. I'd imagine you'd need to move perches, but am not sure what else would be involved (GM 'should' make it easy, but that's at the point they were getting totally stupid so it's not any kind of gaurantee--at least there's not multiple bellhousing patterns like that other mfg.)

neagtea

Supporting Member
Dino I have one laying in the backyard. 99 3/4 ton 2wd It has the 6 lug pattern. When ya drop off that tubing we will check it out.

rkillpack

Converted Oil Burner
What I did.

Suggestions at bottom. Explanation first.

I have a 93 suburban that I decided was going to be my camping/recreation rig. I started out by wheeling it on the PSM bone stock. That was a chore so I decided to upgrade some things.

The first lift included:
ORU Solid front axle swap kit
Dana 60 rebuild w/ Dedenbear knuckles with alloy inners and 35 spline outters
14TFF rear end w/ Detroit
ORD shackle flip with 4 inch blocks
assorted shocks brake lines and stuff
Total cost was over $5000.

Second rebuild:
New 427 BBC
Propane injection
T400 Trans
Klune Mated to 203 mated to 205
38*14.5*16 Toyo MTs
(More on the way, its still in pieces:-\ )

I think that the whole Suburban thing is simple:
First, decided how far you want to go.
Second, decide what it takes to get there.
Third, Go there.
I never listened to people that told me a suburban was a waste of time for what I wanted to do. I just had to spend a lot to get there. Best of luck, i seem to have luck finding weird things for Suburbans so if I can help feel free to ask.

Attachments

• Escalator.jpg
    Escalator.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Crack.jpg
    Crack.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 11
  • sub.jpg
    sub.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 13

ALF

SURE!?
rkillpack said:
Suggestions at bottom. Explanation first.

I have a 93 suburban that I decided was going to be my camping/recreation rig. I started out by wheeling it on the PSM bone stock. That was a chore so I decided to upgrade some things.

The first lift included:
ORU Solid front axle swap kit
Dana 60 rebuild w/ Dedenbear knuckles with alloy inners and 35 spline outters
14TFF rear end w/ Detroit
ORD shackle flip with 4 inch blocks
assorted shocks brake lines and stuff
Total cost was over $5000.

Second rebuild:
New 427 BBC
Propane injection
T400 Trans
Klune Mated to 203 mated to 205
38*14.5*16 Toyo MTs
(More on the way, its still in pieces:-\ )

I think that the whole Suburban thing is simple:
First, decided how far you want to go.
Second, decide what it takes to get there.
Third, Go there.
I never listened to people that told me a suburban was a waste of time for what I wanted to do. I just had to spend a lot to get there. Best of luck, i seem to have luck finding weird things for Suburbans so if I can help feel free to ask.

2 words...BAD ASS:D

RockCrushinToy

ya do a 14 bolt and dana 60 swap, with some 10 in lift springs custom made from national or deaver, thats the way to make a BAD ASS sububan

props on the truck rkillpack

sbr

we use a half ton chev for one of our tow rigs and it does awsome we changed the rear springs with 3/4ton springs and did the k&n and thats it . The truck will tow down to moab as fast as we want to go .

mbryson said:
I'm pretty sure Carl had one in the 'Stain'. I think they're in 'heavy half' or 'light 3/4 ton' IFS trucks. I'd imagine you'd need to move perches, but am not sure what else would be involved (GM 'should' make it easy, but that's at the point they were getting totally stupid so it's not any kind of gaurantee--at least there's not multiple bellhousing patterns like that other mfg.)
It's hell ta get old 'an lose yer mammory... when the 10 bolt in my kid's '94 said "get me outta here!!!" I researched it, butt couldn't find one so's we re-drilled the flanges on an 8 lug. Used '73-'86 chev front rotors 'an eldy calipers. Worked out great, lots of extra work though.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I will start looking for some axles? Good idea to do all the other mods before I get a chip. Will I need a steering arm for a 4" lift? I think I will start with a new filter and a throttle body spacer. There is a cooler of some sort in front of my radiator. I don't know if it is for my oil or my tranny. Is a finned aluminum tranny pan worth the worth the money? Should I keep the tunnel thing on my air filter? Thanks for the help.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
cuban b said:
I say leave it as is and become a scoutmaster.

If that doesn't work out, I'll help with the axle swap.:D

I'm already a scout master. Does that mean I can't do any mods? I will take you up on the axle swap offer though. I printed out the page so I have proof you offered!