I decided that I don't need a jeep

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Yes it is an old school high rail truck. I believe it was owned by Denver Rio Grande

I work on the old D&RGW territory which was mostly in the Colorado mountains, all the old timers I work with used to work for the company.... that truck has a LOT of history behind it!

chicken77

throttle jockey
It is pretty cool, it has a spot on each of the front fenders for torch bottles and hooks to hold the hoses inside and holes cut in the roof for the hoses to enter the cab.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
It is pretty cool, it has a spot on each of the front fenders for torch bottles and hooks to hold the hoses inside and holes cut in the roof for the hoses to enter the cab.

That is interesting, wonder if it was a welders rig? Back in the old days, most track work was done from motor cars and only the big wigs had hyrail vehicles.

Bart

Love the old iron and that truck has some killer patina on it. I always wanted to bob a wagon into a longer extended cab and throw a Willys truck bed on the back.

chicken77

throttle jockey
Well, I got the blue wagon started last night. I drove it in the drive way but it has NO BRAKES. The transmission and clutch seem to work and the engine purrs like a kitten, which I am amazed about since this thing has sat for at least 14 years!!! I started off by pulling the spark plugs and spraying a little WD 40 in each hole, and then spun the engine by hand, hooked up a battery, bypassed the key and hit the starter. Engine started first try. So I think the blue wagon will be my primary focus until I have the titles in hand for the others.

Ashcat

That's bad ass. I love the old hi rail especially since you picked it up near Helper and the old RG is my favorite territory. So much history forged through the rugged terrain between Denver and SLC. If we hadn't lost all of the traffic I'd still be workin over Soldier Summit from SLC.

I assume the blue one you fired up might have the hurricane 6 or whatever Willys coined flatty engine name was?

chicken77

throttle jockey
It does have the straight 6 hurricane with a one barrel carb.
I used to work for Utah Rail about 8 years ago in the Helper and Provo area. The freight business is in a bad way right now.