I finally get to start my dream build

mierdota

I have wanted to own/build an older bronco and today I trade some jeep parts for a really clean 66 bronco it has a 9"in the rear and a 30 front. for now it is going to be my daily driver driver, but I want it to be very capable. Any input would be very appreciated cuz I don't know a ton about these old broncos.

right now it has no motor tranny or tcase it has nice bumpers a good Start to a cage I need doors a motor tranny and a tcase I'm also going to upgrade the axles to some 60's or something im not sure what would fit best under it to still be narrow enough to keep it street legal here are the build plans.

V8 havent decided which yet something fuel injected.
Dana 60's or something similar.
4 link rear 3 link front
35-37"tires
4:88 or 5:13 gears
Lockers front and rear

I will post pics soon my internet is down so I'm posting this from my phone

dustybronco

www.sextonoffroad.com
Congrats. let me know if you need anything. sounds like a very fun build. if you are serious about a D60 give me a call I have a front with 4.88's and an ARB that has already been narrowed to Bronco width and has been converted to 5 on 5.5. I am looking for the right person to buy it. I would stick with the 9" in the rear go to 35 spline and you will have a great set up. I have a ton of other used and new parts as well. Dusty

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Definitely keep in touch with Dusty up there at Sexton Off-road. I've been in their shop, they really are Bronco geniuses and are a great resource.

Get those pics up! :D

sixstringsteve

Congrats man, old broncos are way cool. If I had a Bronco, I'd be stretching the wheelbase as much as possible. I saw a few sweet broncos in Moab on golden spike, but their wheelbase was too short to do double-whammy, and some of the other tough climbs that some ifs tacomas on 33's made it up. It was all due to the wheelbase (not that my current wheelbase is any better, just something to think about.)

Last edited:

mierdota

Congrats. let me know if you need anything. sounds like a very fun build. if you are serious about a D60 give me a call I have a front with 4.88's and an ARB that has already been narrowed to Bronco width and has been converted to 5 on 5.5. I am looking for the right person to buy it. I would stick with the 9" in the rear go to 35 spline and you will have a great set up. I have a ton of other used and new parts as well. Dusty

Thanks dusty my buddy brandon actually was going to get a hold of you to see what you have I am very interested in that 60 I'll call you soon.

dustybronco

www.sextonoffroad.com
FYI an 88 Mustang 302 is speed density. While that may not be a big issue but if you want to build more power you will need to convert it to MAF. If you keep it pretty much stock it isn't a big deal and works great for a conversion.

Chevycrew

With that 465, there shouldnt be electronics for the trans, so a c6, or whatever would work. Being in a toyota, the harness may be aftermarket, or simplified as well.

(or hacked)

I would stick with the 9" in the rear go to 35 spline and you will have a great set up. I have a ton of other used and new parts as well. Dusty[/QUOTE]

X2

If you change the carrier I think you can even get 40 spline (unless thats inaccurate, then someone will pipe up)

Coco

haha, Lance is a good guy. We're gonna be helping him build his TJ (IF this is the Lance I am thinking of) he did tell me he had a bronco.

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
Sounds like you have a lot of fun in front of you!:D I definitely recommend a 302, even a SD engine will have very good power, unless you plan on a lot of sand, but then you might as well just get a big block!

Plunk down the extra cash for 60's, you will never regret it. I'm glad you are linking the suspension, get a few inches of WB over stock, it helps immensely.
I really like 4.88 gears, especially if you drive it on the street at all, and with 37's being your top tire size I think they will compliment all types of driving.

What are you thinking tranny-wise? A C-6 is a good auto but the lack of OD can make it not so much fun on street driven vehicles. I really like standard transmissions as well, especially when mated to a 3 or 4 speed tcase.:D

EB's are great vehicles to work on, play in,etc. You may want to check out classicbroncos.com as well. Whenever I have a problem someone on there knows the answer. Good luck and keep us updated!