I gambled and got burned!

ID Bronco

First off, I did not know where to put this because I do not know much about engines so my part wont be technical, so move it if you want.

I have a 2007 F150 I got for my Son. It had some camphasar noise, so I bought it cheap and put a lockout kit in it. It ran pretty well for about 13 months. Well now I have a broken piston. It has not been totally torn down yet.

So, anyone have good sources for motors? I have done some google searching but don't know who's rebuilds are good, better, best. I looked at many of the other threads with similar problems, but many of the links provided only do jeep stuff.

Any direction would help.

Toad

I installed one for a customer a couple months. He provided the motor. It came with all oem gaskets and spark plugs. It was complete minus intake. Seemed like a nice rebuild. Did one on a Hemi 6 months ago that used a generic Victor gasket. I can find out who he got it from.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The gasket kit and oil pump we got with the Titan motor were very high quality. The directions were also clear and written well. The new motor runs smooth as glass.

ID Bronco

I installed one for a customer a couple months. He provided the motor. It came with all oem gaskets and spark plugs. It was complete minus intake. Seemed like a nice rebuild. Did one on a Hemi 6 months ago that used a generic Victor gasket. I can find out who he got it from.

I would appreciate that. What did you charge for labor?

Hickey replaced a 4.0 in a Jeep last month here https://www.rme4x4.com/threads/need-suggestions-for-replacement-4-0-for-a-tj.114031/
Don't know which engine you have but they also have the V6 and V8's available that you would be looking for http://www.titanengines.com/categories/engines.html?sort=featured&page=18 and http://www.titanengines.com/categories/engines.html?sort=featured&page=20

I cannot find this motor from Titan. I did look at that thread and link previous to my post. Thank you all for the help.

thenag

Man those 3v Ford's.

If you get a used engine I would think seriously about putting a timing set in it and maybe a new oil pump. There is a guy on youtube that has a ton of info about doing that on these 3v's. I just did a timing set in my v10. It just started making noise on startup so I didn't have any other valve train failures. The v10's never got the variable cam timing so I don't have to deal with that.

I have a co-worker that has about an 07 f150 and he had a main bearing go with low miles. It is weird other than the spark plug issue the 2v's seem to run forever, the 3v's seem to have a ton of issues.

For a machine shop I have always liked to use a local one, it is easier to make sure you get what you want and deal with any warranty issues face to face.

Nathan

ID Bronco

Man those 3v Ford's.

If you get a used engine I would think seriously about putting a timing set in it and maybe a new oil pump. There is a guy on youtube that has a ton of info about doing that on these 3v's. I just did a timing set in my v10. It just started making noise on startup so I didn't have any other valve train failures. The v10's never got the variable cam timing so I don't have to deal with that.

I have a co-worker that has about an 07 f150 and he had a main bearing go with low miles. It is weird other than the spark plug issue the 2v's seem to run forever, the 3v's seem to have a ton of issues.

For a machine shop I have always liked to use a local one, it is easier to make sure you get what you want and deal with any warranty issues face to face.

Nathan

I have absolutely ruled out a used motor. I will only go with one that has had the timing issues addressed variable timing. I'm not nearly as adept at this stuff as most of you. I like driving, not wrenching but I REALLY appreciate your input.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I have absolutely no input except that my 2002 5.4L F250 ran perfect even when I sold it at 272,000 miles. The only motor related repair was a coil and plug that failed because the rubber hood seal leaked water into the spark plugs valley.
I changed belts 2 times and hoses once as prevention. New air filters every other oil change and 5 quarts of synthetic + 1 quart Lucas stablizer.

I had cam phaser noise when it was cold until the hydraulics pumped up, and then it went away from 101k miles on

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
We spent about 3 days on ours. A lot of time is spent swapping parts from the old motor to the new one before it goes back in the vehicle. Oil pan, oil pump, intake and exhaust manifolds, clutch and flywheel, distributor.

We also had to chase down a main bearing girdle that was damaged when the old motor threw a rod.