I got the best boss, EVAR!!

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
My boss must be feeling really good. Not only did he dump a ton o' money into the company by buying some really kick ass mobile satellite systems, but he dropped a bomb on me today. He just bought me a new GMC Canyon company truck. What's even cooler is that I get to use it as a personal vehicle while I'm at home, not just on the job. I can park the XJ and rack up the miles in the new ride!!

night_sate.jpg
04.gmc.canyon.500.jpg

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
01.jpg

LUCKYYYYYYYYY!!!

seriously though...that couch is the same couch we have in the office...and that paneling too...holy carp!!

V-DAWG

someday
Sorry man, but you can't compete with the best woman EVAR. I have a take home car also that I can use in the county. It is nearly exempt from traffic tickets as well, but of course I would never need to worry about that anyway since I drive like an angel.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
jamesgeologist said:
My boss must be feeling really good. Not only did he dump a ton o' money into the company by buying some really kick ass mobile satellite systems, but he dropped a bomb on me today. He just bought me a new GMC Canyon company truck. What's even cooler is that I get to use it as a personal vehicle while I'm at home, not just on the job. I can park the XJ and rack up the miles in the new ride!!

night_sate.jpg
04.gmc.canyon.500.jpg

pffft.....it's a chevy, the XJ would be more reliable....

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
BBowski82 said:
pffft.....it's a chevy, the XJ would be more reliable....

ohh yeah our two fords are soooo awesome out here in the oil field. the fenders are falling off, every bushing in the suspensions are shot and the transmissions are toast.

We dont have a fleet plan but it seems like the Chevy IFS trucks dominate the comfort crowd. When you drive 50+ miles a day on dirt roads and 3 miles on the road, you kinda want a smooth ride that wont destroy the vehicle.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
spencurai said:
ohh yeah our two fords are soooo awesome out here in the oil field. the fenders are falling off, every bushing in the suspensions are shot and the transmissions are toast.

We dont have a fleet plan but it seems like the Chevy IFS trucks dominate the comfort crowd. When you drive 50+ miles a day on dirt roads and 3 miles on the road, you kinda want a smooth ride that wont destroy the vehicle.

What Fords do you have?? (did you get a new job?) About the IFS, in case you didn't know, the F150 has an almost identical front suspension to the Chevy's (from like 97-2006)...how you been man?

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
B,

The Fords are both 1995 leaf sprung TTB front 3/4 ton POS's. I have never hated two vehicles more in my life. We bought them both to haul our live-in trailers. Four of them, each weighing about 8,000lbs. Besides the horrid ride, the mileage sucks. All below 8 mpg unladen. We have three 3/4 ton GMC's and each of them out pull, out drive and out mileage the two Fords. Plus, the three of them all have twice to three times as many miles in the oilfield. No vehicle is cheap to repair or maintain in the oilfield but the three GM products are in the shop less and the repairs are always cheaper. I usually would never complain about any vehicle, especially when it is provided for me to use in the field, but I will do everything I can to avoid driving those POSs.

That being said, there are tons of Fords in the oilfield. Lots of companies like Schlumberger and Halliburton drive fleet vehicles with generally good results. Our company is small and can't afford a new 3/4 ton every year, but the ones we buy aren't too used and we usually are able to get about two years out of a rig before we have to retire it. Spencer and I are just trying to get your goat. We're comparing apples to oranges. The torsion bar front IFS in all of our GMC's are silky smooth on even the roughest terrain, but the leaf sprung TTB on the Fords is THE WORST DESIGN EVAR!!!! EVAR...EVAR...EVAR...EVAR...EVAR...EVAR...EVAR...EVAR...EVAR...EVAR...EVAR...EVAR...EVAR...EVAR...EVAR...EVAR...EVAR...EVAR...EVAR...EVAR...EVAR... It is actually painful to drive those trucks. It abuses your guts, it deafens your ears and there isn't a door panel that lines up well enough to keep the constantly leaking exhaust out of the cab.

If you keep working for Ford and designing better and better trucks, maybe we will think about buying another Ford and I'll let you know how we like them!!

James