I hope this one lasts longer...

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I hope this one lasts longer than the Metzler that was mislabeled in the catalog for cruisers when in actuality it was a sport bike tire. That is what I get for having sport bike dimension wheels....GRRRR

Avon Cobra
2929461103_c885ff2c0f.jpg

This Metzler ME880 Marathon was done after ~2500 miles which after some research was a VERY large problem among Roadliner riders. Some more laid back riders were getting 4k before showing cords but ~2500 was the norm. I am usually a fan of the burnouts but I literally didn't even have time to think about a burnout before this tire was GONE! This will be rear tire number 4 with front tire number 2 still holding strong. The bike has 14K miles on it now.

0927081217.jpg

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
'06 Roadliner I drove off the showroom floor...literally! 113 cubic inches of tire shredding power! Patrick Racing big air kit and Dynojet PCIII fuel injection programmer running FXsteins map. http://www.fxstein.com/blog/ and FXstein double clutch spring mod for more BITE!

2306351060_9b6e568eab.jpg

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
Yup, I run the Metz 880 also, and the best I've been able to do was about 3000 miles. What size are you running, Spence?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
210/50 R-17 Z rated if I remember correctly. My front tire is a Metzler that I put on in Vegas and it is wearing VERY nicely I must add. I have to get at least 5 or 6k our of my tires. At 200$+ a pop 2500 miles is NOT acceptable.

The Avon is a 200/55 VR-17 and has rave reviews on the Delphi forums for the roadliner/stratoliners. I will run this front tire out and go Avons all around.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Personally, I wouldn't run an Avon if it was given too me. I have never ran one, but from what I've seen from people I ride with is they have tread separation issues at high speed under heavy load. Probably not at issue with your bike.

I just put a Metzler on the back of the wife's Dyna. After 2000 miles, it still looks like new. I've always ran Dunlop, but after seeing how hers is holding up. I may change.

For what it's worth, I've never seen less than 8000 out of my Dunlops.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Well high speed is an issue with me...on my longer rides I get bored so I hang out at 110-120 mph for entire tanks of gas.

The original dunlop that came on the bike lasted 7000 miles then I bought a harley version of the same tire because dunlop discontinued the model that came on the bike. The harley one in a slightly different size came stock on the fatboy...big mistake. Harley has Dunlop in their pocket because that tire was almost as bad as the Metzler...it was gone in just over 4k miles...basically the same tire with harley labelled on the side. Just another example of how everything Harley is overpriced and underperforming. After seeing the front Metzler wear so well I went with the metzler on the back but nope...

The Avon has Rave reviews from everyone who has run them on the roadliners which is more than I can say about any other brand I have researched on the forums. My bike weighs 700lbs which is just about what the equivelant harley weighs in at but my bike has way more power and way better handling in the corners which means it needs a better tire I don't lumber around like a lazy old man on my bike and I need a tire that will perform as such. If I had unlimited money I would run sport bike tires for the sheer performance but I need the best of both worlds.

I wish I had more people to ride with but nobody except the sport bike guys can keep up.

Last edited:

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
Yup, RSWarrior. Actually know Frankenstein through some other warrior owners. When it warms back up, I'm down for a cruise.

BumpaD_Z28

I have had GREAT luck with my AVON viper SPORTS :) ...

So I would think you will get some good mileage out of those COBRA's

I recommend AVON's to EVERYONE !!!

~DaVe

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
lol that video is awesome...I have been known to text on the bike before bit it is a rare occasion.

Jamesgeologist just can't keep up with me on the road...he has a wife and children to annoy in this earthly life! lol ;)

So I put the bike up on the jack to pull the rear tire and found this going around the radius of the front metzler that has about 8k miles and very little wear showing...

mother f$%k Metzler and the boat they sailed in on!!

2942871620_52c44cb14b_b.jpg