I just opened a Roth IRA, and am ready to invest in the stock market

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Pretty sure the wife and I lost like $80k. I just tell myself it’ll all come back… eventually

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
After a weak 18+ months, my 401K is bouncing back quite nicely... the last month has seen quite a bit of growth, currently 11.4% for the year. Anyone else having similar results?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
My 401k has bounced back a bit after the tumble it took last year. So good news there. I'm wondering what, if anything, I should do with it. I watch all these videos from mega rich guys telling me the markets will crash by the end of September. Think it will happen? If it does, should I move my money out? Now my 401k is still tied into my old employers plan. I've been told I should move it out of there anyways. So now may be a really good time to do that.
I'm seeing a lot of predictions that silver will go 100 times its value in the next two years because of the impending crash and because it's so undervalued compared to gold. I also saw I can roll my 401k into a silver or gold IRA. Kind of interesting. At the least, gold and silver appear to be pretty safe in terms of no loss. Over 30 they may not have the growth that the stock market has had, but I believe the stock market is doomed so that may not matter now.
What do the billionaires on here think? Dump it all in silver for a couple years?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I watch all these videos from mega rich guys telling me the markets will crash by the end of September. Think it will happen?

I'm gonna let you in on a little secret: they have no idea what the market will do. Nobody can accurately and repeatedly predict the short-term market movement--if they could, they'd only need 3 or 4 exactly accurate predictions to make themselves so wealthy that, by comparison, Warren Buffett would look like a pauper.

Speaking of Buffett, my favorite thought on this topic was when he was once asked what he thought the market was going to do. His response? "It will fluctuate."

At any given time, there are extremists who are loudly predicting a market collapse. At the exact same time, there are others who are loudly forecasting incredible market growth. This is a constant phenomenon, month in and month out, no matter what the market is doing at the moment. Successful investors ignore all this white noise and simply continue to intelligently put their money to work for them. In the long run, owning profitable businesses always pays off.

If it does, should I move my money out?

In general, converting your investments into cash (ie, selling) invariably leads to long-term losses compared to leaving your investments alone. Timing the market is an impossible fool's errand, because we cannot accurately identify the peaks or the bottoms until they have long passed. I've seen more than one study which has shown that missing only the best 6 or 7 market days of the entire year can cut your yearly performance by more than half.

Now my 401k is still tied into my old employers plan. I've been told I should move it out of there anyways. So now may be a really good time to do that.

Depending on what holdings are in your 401k , you may be able to open an account at a new broker and do an in-kind transfer of assets. This would let you move your holdings to the broker of your choosing without actually needing to sell (or buy) anything.

Just a thought.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I just rolled over our funds to Fidelity since our new employer uses them. I figured it would be easiest to have the new stuff and old stuff with the same institution. I bugged my BIL who is a bonafide 401k NERD about how to invest and he said at our age we should honestly just put it in a total market index fund. His example was Vanguard's VTSAX so I just found the Fidelity equivalent and sent it with both our rollover IRA's and ROTH's. The new 401k's are just using Fidelity's canned mix which is fine by me. He also mentioned basically the same thing as was said above: nobody knows what will happen to the market tomorrow so don't worry about it. 🤷‍♂️

I feel like we were really doing well on retirement savings like 5 years ago and now I look at the numbers and just think WOW THAT'S NOT ENOUGH! I'm hoping to get it into the next gear in the next several years but we'll see.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
So far I like Fidelity.

I'm happy to hear this.

My Roth IRA is at E*Trade, which was recently acquired by Morgan Stanley. Now that MS has taken over running the show, I've noticed some... changes... to how things are done. While I had zero complaints with ET in the past, I'm now considering opening an IRA at Fidelity and moving my holdings there instead.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm happy to hear this.

My Roth IRA is at E*Trade, which was recently acquired by Morgan Stanley. Now that MS has taken over running the show, I've noticed some... changes... to how things are done. While I had zero complaints with ET in the past, I'm now considering opening an IRA at Fidelity and moving my holdings there instead.
My company stock allocation was given to me through Fidelity and I’ve been impressed with how much easier it is to work with.

DAA

One of my 401K and my investment account are with Fidelity. I've no real complaints. Other than, I find their web interface to be maddeningly cumbersome and non intuitive. Once you do figure out where and what to click, it works great. But holy crap, they must have had a backend guy do the UI.

- DAA