I need a new compressor ... Who runs what?

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
This is for my house. I have /had a craftsman upright. There bigest HP 110volt. that fawker was NOISY AS ANYTHING AND IT SUCKED TO LISTEN TO FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME you know what I mean? It now won't go past 60 psi and just sucks all around. So now I want to get a good compresser that will run a little quieter so I don't have to drink so much in the shop :) I really think I want a two stroke probably 220 ( I have a plug for my lincoln) but 110 would be nice but I doubt it will keep up like I really want.
What namebrand do you run and what do you like / dislike about it?

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
I don't think you want a "two stroke"

I think the word you're looking for is dual stage. I would greatly recommend going with a dual stage, much quiter and more effecient.

Brands don't matter so much. IMO Ingersoll Rand probably makes some of the best (and priciest) but the Huskys work great too..

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
cycles...sort of....It uses one large volume/bore cylinder to achieve most of the volume needed to fill the tank, and another much smaller cylinder to build pressure. much faster than having one cylinder do both, plus much quiter. Keep your eyes out in the classifieds for one. Dual Stages don't go bad very often, as long as you keep the tank drained and oil in the compressor...

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
put the damn thing in the shed out back and put an air dryer on the intake. no compressor is nice and quiet, you are searching for something that DOES NOT EXIST!!! wire up your shed in the back or just build a big 3/4 plywood enclosure around it like liltrax did. I always get 2 lengths of hose and roll the compressor behind the garage if I can.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
Originally posted by spencurai
no compressor is nice and quiet, you are searching for something that DOES NOT EXIST!!!

I beg to differ. Um....the Crapsman Biggun compressor SUCKS A$$, not only is it more loud and obnoxious than a woman on her period, it can't keep up with air tools. :D
It is a crime that Craftsman is even allowed to sell the POS oiless compressor. Ever take the cover off one of there "oiless compresors" THE ROD IS PLASTIC, and the PISTONS not much better.

Sure no compressor is going to be completely quite, but all my buddies with dual stages are so tolerably quiet that you can actually have a conversation standing next to one :eek: without a mega phone.

Okay I am done.:D

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
My brother built a separate box for his Oiless compressor. not me Spence :p At my house tho. He then Lined it with insulation from lowes, installed a fan that he can plug in to blow the air out.

go 220 or go home! much more effiecient electrically speaking.

I can get pics if you want but its not complicated!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Chrome, I had the same prob with my craftsman, wouldn't go past 60 psi. took it apart, no trace of the piston ring. got a kit from sears for like 24 bucks. Works great now. Still loud, but not as loud as before.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
well maybee then it has a chance at a rebuild. as far as the shed , insulation ,fan, extra wireing, paint, and chrome roofing I'm into it more than a new 220. I have a 60 galon upright at work that perrs. I can hear brdpraey's craftsman in my house with his door shut to his garage. 35feet?
hey suka this thread is what do you run and how do you like it.... not "yea mine is quiet...amen" fruit loop. WTF do you run and how much bling was it? I would love to try out one in a store. phat chance :) would an air place (aairco) have better deals than home depot?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I have a Craftsman dual stage oiled compressor and it's not bad at all. Now the Oilless compressors Suck and you have to rebuild them often.

tv_larsen

I've got a single stage 5hp, 220V, cast-iron Sanborn air compressor that I built from mostly used parts. My buddy gave me the 35 gal. tank, I found a used pump for $20, used motor for $100..... blah, blah, blah. It still cost me $300 to finish. All those little parts are expensive. It's pretty quiet. You can stand next to it and have a conversation real easy.

For quiet, make sure you get a belt driven compressor (oil-less ones suck). Get a compressor with a cast iron block too. The aluminum ones are louder.

Hey Sky, I'll give ya' $30 for your air compressor as-is. :D

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Skytone- Harbor freight had a couple of Ingersol rands for $$400-$500 when I was in there last week- I don't know much about em-But the price is about 1/2 of what they are at sears.

kb7sei

Ingersol-Rand 2-stage 220V machine here. It's one of the quietest compressors I've used and it keeps up with me without breaking a sweat. Cast iron, oiled, belt drive, 15CFM @ 100psi, 175psi cutoff, 80 gallon tank. Clearance sale at Home Depot. :D I got into it for about $650. The HD guys said that they stopped carrying them because of supply problems from IR and switched to the Husky brand. IIRC, Husky = Campbell Hausfeld. Those are good units as well, and I went in there to buy one of them. I just couldn't resist the bigger one at that price.

The things you want on your shopping list have been pointed out allready. Add to that the biggest tank and highest CFM you can afford and go shopping. You want more air than you think you will use, if you can afford it. It's cheaper to step up to a bigger one now than to buy a new one later. You never know what you will connect to it in the future.

kb7sei

Originally posted by OCNORB
Skytone- Harbor freight had a couple of Ingersol rands for $$400-$500 when I was in there last week- I don't know much about em-But the price is about 1/2 of what they are at sears.

I've never seen 2-stage units at HF, but they do have good prices on the ones they carry. A good place to check prices, and buy if you find a good deal there.