I need a Shave,,

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Ok, I have been dragging this 14 bolt over everything;) And it get's hung up on everything:mad:

So, I have read one post on pirate about cutting 1 1/2" off and was wondering if any of you have tackled this before.
I want to cut, not grind.

Input?

ps. I don't want to debate the 14/60 I'm staying with the 14 bolt.

Andy

aka. Hollywood
You should have enough meat left to easily re-drill for the cover, and I think you will also have enough on the bottom that you dont need to worry about plating it. I have a junk housing you can come look at to see what you can get away with. BTW call me it's snowing.:D

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Seems like I remember seeing some pics of someone that shaved a 14 bolt. Maybe do a search on that other yo-ho-ho list, see what you come up with. Seems like an aweful lot of work for 1.5"....... But yes it does matter. I would mainly be concerned with the structural integrety of the axle after cutting off the bottom, and making sure that the new piece is welded correctly to the cast housing, blah blah blah. Do try to do a practice run on some other junk 14B, or even a non 14B for that matter. I have some 1/2" plate you can use......I need to use the rest of it to make some "gongs" to shoot at at 100yards:D

EZ

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Ya, I'm begining to question the amount of work vs the 1-2" I'll get,,, (does that sound right:eek: )

All I have to do is put 39" SX's on and problem solved right;) .

It's all about Money:mad:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Even cutting off that big lip on the bottom of that 14bolt with gain you about 3/4" of clearance.

Maybe just flatten out the bottom of the casting so you slide over rocks instead of getting hung up. ??

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Yeah even grinding the bottom will work. I was going to say earlier......(In the case of shaving it) you can put the 1/2" plate on the bottom and overlap it over the cover mounting surface, so you can't peel the cover back anymore and start a leak of fluid. I doubt the two or so bottom cover bolts would even be necessary in that case, as long as you have a nice tight fit and use RTV. In fact, 3/8" plate may be ok instead of 1/2".....you could weld a couple stiffeners or gussets on the inside of the plate on either side of the ring gear to help support it.

EZ

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by Shawn
Ya, I'm begining to question the amount of work vs the 1-2" I'll get,,, (does that sound right:eek: )

All I have to do is put 39" SX's on and problem solved right;) .

It's all about Money:mad:

Shave it.... and get 39's!

4", just like that!!!

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I think what I will try is the grinding, I'll remove the 3/4 lip. If I don't like it I can shave it later.

Now, if I can just get my wife to get a second job to help suport my Cruiser fund, I could have those 39's ;)

Oppsss, did I say that?:eek:

James K

NO, I'm always like this
I have been arguing that same thing. I have already taken the lip off the bottom, used a sawzall and cleaned it up with a grinder. Then I reinforced the bottom half of the cover with 3/16 plate.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Got the 14blt, got the 38's, still got to shave it. I was hoping it would "Self Clearance" on the trail. I wonder how well my P-cutter will do?