I need good sound for my TJ!!!!

natius

Kill cookies! Make'm pay
I need to have good sound in my TJ. I can't take it anymore! I have a stock soundbar and stock CD player. I am dying here. I like good tunes while out on the trail, but I want to do it right. What is the best overall approach to milking all the space and potential out of the TJ for good sound? I don't want a sub box in my back either. I guess I need to know the best replacement speakers for my soundbar and the best way to get some bass without filling up the already spacious rear compartment with a sub box. HELP!!!!!

-natius

Brett

Meat-Hippy
natius said:
I need to have good sound in my TJ. I can't take it anymore! I have a stock soundbar and stock CD player. I am dying here. I like good tunes while out on the trail, but I want to do it right. What is the best overall approach to milking all the space and potential out of the TJ for good sound? I don't want a sub box in my back either. I guess I need to know the best replacement speakers for my soundbar and the best way to get some bass without filling up the already spacious rear compartment with a sub box. HELP!!!!!

-natius

Talk to Cody, he's in car audio. Or shoot him a PM

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
natius said:

-natius

Ryan has a TJ with nice tunes, he runs car concepts. Give him a call--he is a really cool guy.

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
Here is my setup and I am very happy with it.

It isn't anything competition... if that's what you're looking for... ??

I have the stock 4x6 speakers in the dash... Didn't touch those.
I have 4" Eclipse speakers in the soundbar. Those kick butt!! For a 4" they hit pretty hard, but on my deck I have 3 preouts so I control all the bass to my subs and mids and highs to the other speakers. I have my bass level at 0.

I have an MTX Thunder 4202 amp. It is a 2 channel 400 watt amp... DOn't get this amp, it sucks. I hate MTX. But, I was suckered into buying it and it apparently works for my subs, so I'll keep it.

My subs are Pioneer IMPP 400W max subs. I'm running about 100 watts RMS to each sub, the amp is bridged in series. with 8 guage cables.

I love my stereo, it sounds way good with no matter what type of music. Rap hits hard, soft music you can hear all the highs and mids just fine, It is a perfect match for my car.

Good luck to ya.

Underdog

5 1/4 in the Dash

I mounted 5 1/4 speakers in the dash and it makes a huge difference. If you go on ebay you can buy (or make) brackets that will mount the 5 1/4 in same location of the current useless 4x6 speakers. You have to cut a little metal but it is worth it. The plates sell for around 20 bucks and once their installed you can't tell buy looking. It’s a good place to "hide” quality speakers. Another big help is cutting the sound bar to fit 6 1/2 inch speakers. It is tight but they will fit. Both are relatively cheep fixes and make a world difference.

natius

Kill cookies! Make'm pay
Pennies on the dollar huh? Great!!!! Wow!!!! Uhhhhh.... no. Shawn, depending on how well you can belt out a tune, I just might take you up on that offer. You can ride in the back and sing showtunes and what not. Change the type of tunes I listen to? And hurt Michael Bolton's feelings? Never!!! When he sings "When a Man Loves A Woman"......well it just doesn't get any better than that. I get tingley all over.

my4thjeep

Is there such a thing as good sound in a TJ?

In my second jeep I had a decent system. Remeber it was 1994-1998. Kenwood deck with tape, 10 disk changer a sound stream amp pushing two infinity kappa 6x9s 3 ways and a 10 inch infinity kappa sub in a 1 cubic foot box. Pioneer 4x6 in the dash with a cheap kenwood amp. It was loud and clear. The whole reason I post this is all the equipment spent 45 minutes underwater. I brought my jeep home dried it all out and it worked. I strongly recommend the kappas as they are water/mud proof. They still worked great after 4 years of extreme abuse.

I started to build a system for my 3rd jeep but only bought a deck due to 4 layoffs in 4 years. My warning is stay away from sony. My sony es (extra sh**y?) Died 3 times in the first year and compared to the previous jeep it was babied.

I currently just use the stock system because having the piece of mind that my stock pos will still be there in the morning is preferable to the loss of my system.

natius

Kill cookies! Make'm pay
The Deck is really not my focus. I really want to find good speakers, and the best places to put them. Not a lot of space left.