I need recommendations for fighting a city on an issue

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
Ok here is the low down. The building I purchased is almost ready to start doing something with it. The original plan was to host holiday event like a Haunted House, Christmas House, Easter Parade and Summer Slam. City planning told the City Council in Sept 2004 that Haunted Houses where allowed in M2 area when they banned them from the downtown area. I’m in a M2 area. So I figure if Halloween is ok, then the others would be also. Well now they are telling me that they are not allowed. No indoor entertainment is allowed. So I go online and start reading about what is allowed in M2 area. It turns out Strip Clubs and Taverns are allowed.

So I ask if I can put in a Strip Club, and they said that’s ok.

WHAT??!?

I have people that live in houses across the street from me .. with children. A strip club or tavern is ok, but Christmas is not?!? That just doesn’t seem right to me. Then they said because big trucks use the road I’m on they don’t want to have a lot of public interaction there. So in my mind I’m thinking, so it must be ok if the trucks run over horney drunk guys, but not anyone else. LOL

So I write our mayor and city council. The mayor replied that it was state law that they can’t tell planning what to do and leaves it at that. The council member never replied.

So has anyone had to deal with a city to get something done that the city didn’t want done? Any tips?

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
You might want to try to get in touch with the Land Trusts committee. Connie Cox is the President and my neighbor. These folks have a lot of pull when it comes to town planning. There is no reason that a strip club could go in when a community oriented plan should be in effect, especially in your area. I know you aren't doing a strip club, but Ogden Cities' mentality is rediculous. I don't know how much help I can be, I don't have Connie's contact info and I rarely see her. Sorry,

James

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
I thought about contacting them. But they deal mostly with historical sites. Ogden city won't put my building on the Land Marks Commission Register (historical register) because they said it has no value to the community.

I guess having the largest stock yard west of Chicago for almost 50 years doesn't have any history .. or that in 6 more years it will be the longest running stock yard in the country. No history there either.

The National Register is looking into adding the building on their deal because my architect was the same one that did Ogden High, Perry's Theater, the city building and the US Forest Serivce building.

I can almost see the headlines now .. Ogden gets a new strip club, and even the owner doesn't want it :-\ But your right, I'd never open a strip club ... a tavern or brewery might be a different story. :p

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
It's reasons like this that my shrink told me to avoid listening to the news...something about blood pressure and getting to upset. Good luck.

Medsker

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
THE CITY OF OGDEN SUCKS, AND ITS MAYOR IS A FAWKING POS!!!!!!!

Mayor Godfag is alive today simply because it's against the law to kill him!

It's really sad that Ogden's residents feel so badly about the city they live in and its administration. Sorry for ranting on your post. You're being SCREWED by some of the best thugs Utah has to offer. :mad2:

utahxjer

TRNDRVR said:
THE CITY OF OGDEN SUCKS, AND ITS MAYOR IS A FAWKING POS!!!!!!!

Mayor Godfag is alive today simply because it's against the law to kill him!

It's really sad that Ogden's residents feel so badly about the city they live in and its administration. Sorry for ranting on your post. You're being SCREWED by some of the best thugs Utah has to offer. :mad2:
Dan, you are one pissed off man with access to a train :p

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
utahxjer said:
Dan, you are one pissed off man with access to a train :p
You'd be pissed too if your were charged with felony criminal assault charges against a city of Ogden employee, who to this day I still have never met. That biotch could stand in front of me today and I wouldn't know who she is. But I somehow assaulted her. (?) And to boot, she was just convicted and sent to prison for doing the same thing to someone else (along with the fact she embezzled $76,000.00 from the city of Ogden). I went so far as to ask for an apology from the city regarding this, and I got the same response. NOTHING!!!

As for my train, I wouldn't want to dirty it up with the blood from PIGS!!! (Lori Murphy, Daniel Grigsby, John Patterson, Mayor Godfag (Godfrey))

[taking my lithium]I going to take a nap now. I've got to work tonight.[/Uh oh, ran out of happy pills] :sick:

:D

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
Actually I'd say that 80% of the problems Ogden has is not Godfrey's fault. We've had the same problems long before Godfrey was mayor. Don't get me wrong I don't like that he's trying to turn Ogden into a mini Park City. But what people don't realize is planning is the problem. Actually not even planning itself, it’s one person.

Greg Montgomery is the person that has drove most of the business away from Ogden. The original mall project was all his idea before he became the planning commissioner ... the new mall project was designed by him as the planning commissioner. I've lost count how many times this man has misrepresented the facts at city council meetings. He doesn't out right lie, but he doesn't give full information.

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
Oh also .. the new tram we are getting ... guess who owns some of the land it's being built on ... Mr. Montgomery :-\