I Quit!

ALF

SURE!?
I quit smoking last night and would like to hear some hints to keep me away from the damn things. :eek: I'm itchin for one already!

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
hit the vitamin C about 2000mg per day to flush the nicotene out of your system and plenty of fluids. Dont hit the C too hard as it is a natural diahretic...it will make you go poopy in your pants!!

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
find something that you like very much to replace it... positive reinforcement

hang in there!

My mother smoked since she was 15 and quit cold turkey at age 69! You can do it...

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I have been smoke free since December of 2000. I used the patch and the gum. Don't get to hooked on the gum that nicotene is wicked stuff. Quiting smoking is a mental game, I did it for my kids.

I will never smoke again, after 18 years of suckin but I'm done. :)

JIM

85cj7
Supporting Member
I smoked for 34 year's. I quite cold turkey allso my wife used the patch. I always have sugar less breath meints in my pocket. People you work with like I'am too.

MattL

Congrats on making the choice to stop. Just stick with it. Shortly afterwards I quit the smell would make me sooo sick. In the long run you will end up feeling tons better.

Pick something that goes against what it was you were doing.
For me when I smoked I had to choose a real reason on why I wanted to quit. the reason I choose when I was younger was to excell at mountain biking. IT worked.

ALF

SURE!?
My pre employment physical showed I had the lungs of a 54 year old :eek: that is the main reason. Money is another when I think about how much it cost to supply 2 smokers my wife is quitting also :greg:

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
I quite several years ago ... I did it cold turkey with the following help.

Change your environment.
1.Get rid of ALL cigarettes and ashtrays in your home, car, and place of work.
2.Don't let people smoke in your home or car.
3.Use fabric sanitizer on everything in your home, car, work (if possible). Get rid of the "smoker" smell.

Review your past attempts to quit. Think about what worked and what did not.

Once you quit, don't smoke—NOT EVEN A PUFF!

Tell your family, friends, and co-workers that you are going to quit and want their support. Ask them not to smoke around you or leave cigarettes out.

Talk to your health care provider (for example, doctor, dentist, nurse, pharmacist, psychologist, or smoking counselor).

Get individual, group, or telephone counseling. The more counseling you have, the better your chances are of quitting. Programs are given at local hospitals and health centers. Call your local health department for information about programs in your area.

Try to distract yourself from urges to smoke. Talk to someone, go for a walk, or get busy with a task.

When you first try to quit, change your routine. Use a different route to work. Drink tea instead of coffee. Eat breakfast in a different place.

Do something to reduce your stress. Take a hot bath, exercise, or read a book.

Plan something enjoyable to do every day.

Drink a lot of water and other fluids.

Most relapses occur within the first 3 months after quitting. Don't be discouraged if you start smoking again. Remember, most people try several times before they finally quit. Here are some difficult situations to watch for:

Alcohol. Avoid drinking alcohol. Drinking lowers your chances of success.

Other Smokers. Being around smoking can make you want to smoke.

Weight Gain. Many smokers will gain weight when they quit, usually less than 10 pounds. Eat a healthy diet and stay active. Don't let weight gain distract you from your main goal—quitting smoking. Some quit-smoking medications may help delay weight gain.

Bad Mood or Depression. There are a lot of ways to improve your mood other than smoking.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
alf4444 said:
My pre employment physical showed I had the lungs of a 54 year old :eek: that is the main reason. Money is another when I think about how much it cost to supply 2 smokers my wife is quitting also :greg:

hell, what you spend on smokes you could probably almost swing the new truck payment. :)

PolarXJ

HO-P
Congrats!!! There is alot of good advise already posted.
I'll second taking the Vitamin C and suggest using suckers
to fufill the habit of taking the cigs to your mouth.

BronkoRob

i try here and there. with all this other input i may have to try again. my big problem is all my friends smoke and when im around them its HARD! not to ask them for one or go get my own.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
to help fight the urges, just think about how damn stupid smoking is! hehe i hope that helps. :D