I WISH it was my rig that was stolen!

pELYgroso

'Merica
So, I'm a a roofing contractor and have been doing a big job all winter. Well, it's been a little bit of doing the job and a lot of trying to get progress payments on time. -_- The last work we did on it was a couple months ago because payment stopped coming. a large bounced check put my account waaaay too much into the negative and my supplier accounts are on hold, all because of this company that won't pay me what they owe me.
(this is where it gets good.)
To make a loooong story short, I call in yesterday to see if by any miracle there's any money in the account for me, and I'm told that the lady that I've been dealing with pretty much embezzled and spent all of the money as it's come in to her, instead of pass it on to me, and IT'S ALL GONE. over 100K, gone. :ugh: Basically, I can't do any work right now with my accounts on hold, and the dang lady spent over 100k of my money, and my suppliers' money. :eek:

QUESTION:
HOA insurance will pay this money back --eventually-- but is there any way I could sue this lady for the last 3 months of wasted time, now trashed credit score, now trashed bank history, and the fact that I can't really work much right now due to my supplier accounts on hold? I don't know how long it will take to get back on my feet from this. I'm even considering doing summer sales in Boston because of the situation.

and what ticks me off the most is that my poor wife is worried sick. Like, she actually got sick. I can't even explain in words how mad that makes me.

Last edited:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
You certainly can sue her for your damages. You could win, but you may never collect. We're in a similar situation, though not as deep as you. My wife did a bunch of work on a condo project in Park City. They builder went bankrupt, the bank now owns the project, and they won't finish it to sell it, or pay her for the work that has been done. :rolleyes:

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Is the job listed on the scr (state construction registry)? Did you file a prelien on the job? I file preliens and lien property every day for my employer. I might be able to help you.

Last edited:

rollover

Have you ever thought of selling your accounts receivable to a factoring company? I've used one for accounts that start to go funny on payments. 1-2% is cheep at times to transfer risk. I only sent them ones that looked or seemed risky during payment.

Sometimes they will buy bad paper for higher rates but you get your money now.
I used ones like this: http://www.1stcommercialcredit.com/

JM2C

rockcrawlerit

Yea just be careful if you seek legal council it could cost you a bunch. Like Rockmonkey said if she can't pay. Good luck!

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I'm even considering doing summer sales in Boston because of the situation.

Be very careful about summer sales this year, especially for a dealer company. I guess I know some things about the industry that could prevent you from being screwed again. PM me if you wanna know more

pELYgroso

'Merica
ya, if I go it'll be with apx and they're not a dealer company. Like some of you have said, it'll prolly cost me more than it's worth to sue her. It just makes me so mad. I almost feel bad for the lady though. she's old, and I'm sure prison isn't good on old ladies. Do any of you like to TP houses? I may have to do this the old fasion way. haha