Idaho Idaho Campout/Trail Run: July 6, 7, 8th (Shelly Rocks & Blacks Canyon) Idaho

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
~ Post 4th of July Campout/Trail Run ~
This trip is about 3.5 hours North from SLC, UT

When:
Leave SLC, UT after work to head to Blackfoot, ID Friday July 6th
Come Home: Sunday July 8th afternoon

Wheel:
All day July 7th and morning to mid afternoon on the 8th.

Where:
Shelly Rocks (waypoints included)
http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/1721432

So i've heard that the wheeling up in ID is pretty cool (lava rock and boulder gardens). Should be a lot more desirable weather than Southern UT too. I have some friends that are local to the location and will be showing my around. Should be some decent mid level wheeling nothing too crazy and a fun time camping out.

Last edited:

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
additional info

The plan will be to head up to ID from Salt Lake City area after work on Friday July 6th and meet up with some local folks to camp out in Blacks Canyon.

Wake up on Saturday July 7th and wheel blacks canyon trail system until approximately 1pm.

Head to Shelly Rocks at 1pm Saturdays to set up camp, mid day wheeling, mid evening BBQ, some night wheeling and also hang out at a campfire.

Wake up Sunday July 8th to do some additional wheeling, pack up camp and head home (where ever that may be for all individuals).

cannoncrawler

TWERNT THE MORMONS!!!!!!
The plan will be to head up to ID from Salt Lake City area after work on Friday July 6th and meet up with some local folks to camp out in Blacks Canyon.

Wake up on Saturday July 7th and wheel blacks canyon trail system until approximately 1pm.

Head to Shelly Rocks at 1pm Saturdays to set up camp, mid day wheeling, mid evening BBQ, some night wheeling and also hang out at a campfire.

Wake up Sunday July 8th to do some additional wheeling, pack up camp and head home (where ever that may be for all individuals).

What kind of camping? tents? camptrailers? there isn't much camping at Blacks, but I live literally 1/2 mile from the trail and have plenty of room for tents/ trailers I have a fire pit, and have hosted groups from out of the area before. Shelley has a place to camp and is about 30 minutes from town and blacks canyon. You probably already know but shelly is milder wheeling, and blacks is tougher. Look forward to meeting you guys.

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Man I've always wanted to run this. We handsome friends in Shelly growing up and I heard it was awesome! How much wheeling is there in this area. I can't go that weekend but would it be worth getting a group together later on in the year say mid August?

tnels

Oh yeah its worth it I'm from pocatello originally and just moved into Utah its a great weekend trip why don't you come down with us and check it out for your self!

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Big thanks to "cannoncrawler" ahead of time for hosting us campers the first night on his property... and Sean using "tnels" login name for setting up details for this entire trip and bridging Planet4x4.com with us on RME to network some wheelers together.

cannoncrawler

TWERNT THE MORMONS!!!!!!

Please understand that Shelley rock area (just north of the trails)burned a month ago. Since then it has only become more prone to fire. (very, very dry.) Many Land agencies have outlawed fires on public land (the BLM has yet to issue that) and my personal opinion is that a fire would not be advisable. Please know that you are welcome to stay at my place Saturday night. I have plenty of room and a fire pit. Last time a crawler group came from out of town we fired up the smoker and had Ribs, and all that goes with that. Obviously you don't have to stay here, but if you do camp out at shelley, be so very carefull. It is a tinderbox with dry grass, sagebrush and juniper trees. and I personally don't want to give the BLM any reason to "forget" to include those trails on the RMP they are in the middle of now.

PROST!

cannoncrawler

TWERNT THE MORMONS!!!!!!

:rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Depending on how many rigs you have and their set up, Feel lucky if you are done in 8 hrs. This trail has never been totally completed for what we developed and has a few places that has only been done by one comp buggy. See ya soon!!! :thumbs:

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Leaving tonight around 5pm for the campout, should be a good time for sure!!!! Can't wait to have some new trails added to the pallet for future runs & to meet some cool new wheelers in a different region.

As for fires I have a portable propane fire ring that's approved for use during fire bans, nothing too special or too big. Sean’s (the guy I think you've been talking to on the phone) is riding with me & were both planning on just staying over at your property cannoncrawler so we can talk more then about camping areas and wheeling times when we get there. Most of all we want to enjoy the weekend relaxing doing what us wheelers do best... no set plans with a "play by ear" mentality.

sixstringsteve

I like your attitude. Some of the best trips are the ones where you wing it. Have fun and let us know how it went, sounds like a blast.

tnels

Getting ready to leave Utah maybe by 5 if any of you last minute guys wanna fallow US down everyone is welcome!!!!!...

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
What a great trip... I had an awesome time! Im doing a specific trip report now, but I"ve got a lot of footage and it will take a lot of editing.

thanks again to chad for letting us stay the night at your property!!!

IMG_3533.jpgIMG_3524.jpgIMG_3535.jpgIMG_3542.jpgIMG_3539.jpgIMG_3538.jpgIMG_3553.jpgIMG_3555.jpgIMG_3551.jpgIMG_3559.jpg

ricsrx

That looks a great place to wheel. how were the temps or should i say is it any cooler up there during the sommer months?

tnels

Its was a great time the weather was great its was hot but I would have to say its a little cooler there compared to slc but over all had a great time and ment some fun people! Thanks again for everyones help on this trip (Ryan Chad) and the snake river off-road crew

Last edited:

RogueJeepr

Here!
Great pics . That looks fun. :D

Quick question ; I have some family in the Burley area and was wondering if there is any good wheeling around there ? Not huge boulder fields just a moderate trail .

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
I wanna say the temp was 82 deg on Sunday when we left and headed home for SLC area... when we arrived it was 96-ish in Salt Lake.

Next trip should be a good one as were gonna try to do another campout/trail run in the Tetons called "Falling Rock".... more details to come.