Idaho Trails

Zac001

So the JK is getting a overhaul this month and my gf and i wanted to go down to Moab sometime in may or june, however her dad has suggested that the family take a trip up to idaho as Moab can be very rough on vehicles ( the whole family is over cautious) so it seems thats where we will be going for our first trip this year... any suggestions on which trails to tackle?

( the jeep is getting a 4 in lift
35 in tires
smitty built rear bumper with tiregate
and an ORF stinger front..

nothing crazy but should be fun to toy with now

flexyfool

GDW
Idaho has buggy trails and an endless supply of 2 track through the desert and forest service roads. There are no classic Jeep trails that you would travel to and that would be the sole purpose of a trip. There are some decent 1/2 day trails I could point you to if you are going to be nearby visiting something else.

For example, if you are visiting Yellowstone, you could go to the St. Anthony sand dunes. It is a world class set of dunes where you will see high dollar sand rails.

If you are visiting Craters of the Moon or Sun Valley, you could do the Boulder City trail. It has dramatic scenery, an old mine, and ends near 10,000 ft elevation.

If visiting Boise, say for the outdoor Shakespeare Festival or Hell's Canyon Gorge, the Tiddie Springs trail to Silver City ghost town is what you would want to do.

Last edited:

Zac001

im well aware of what moab has to offer... its her father thats planning it.. plus he says idaho would be better since my son will only be 10 months old by then and he doesnt want to have him exposed to that kinda heat... idk i just go with the flow they are paying for this one..

Cherokeester

im well aware of what moab has to offer... its her father thats planning it.. plus he says idaho would be better since my son will only be 10 months old by then and he doesnt want to have him exposed to that kinda heat... idk i just go with the flow they are paying for this one..

It's just the way it sounded," Moab is rough on vehicles". Moab is not any different than any where else if you don't want it to be but Idaho has much to offer as well.

flexyfool

GDW
More info an Tiddie Springs Trail to Silver City: I don't know the exact mileage, but it's something like 10 miles off the highway to a rough trail. The trail is about 12 miles long. It leads to a graded road. 5 more miles on the road to the town then 20 miles back to the highway on the road. In May, the trail will be dry so a stock open/open Jeep can make it with some effort. 2 out of 5 rating. Normally the snow on the graded road lasts until late May or June and the town is unreachable until then. Very little snow this year so it may be reachable much earlier. There is an easy short trail to War Eagle Mountain that starts in the town. The town was a big deal back in the day. Now it is part ghost town. Part seasonally occupied. There is an inn with rooms and food.

http://www.historicsilvercityidaho.com/
http://www.historicsilvercityidaho.com/idahohotel.html
http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/id/silvercity.html

Last edited:

Zac001

guess after talking about it they want to rent a cabin for a week and they found one just south of moab so apparently they are on board!!!

the silver city trip will be something i plan later on because it looks like something id like to do...