Ignition Switch Mods

tagaustatoppen

1997 TJ
I just bought a 97 wrangler. The pervious owner wired the ignition so that the Sig lighter has to be pushed in to start the vehicle. I have found that when I put a load on the electrical system that this acts like a fuse and that it "blows the fuse" when I use my heater and have the stero truned up. I am wondering if it is just the ground wire that is going to the sig lighter. Does any one know?

anvil

I'd try to help but I don't really understand what tagaustatoppen is saying

I have found that when I put a load on the electrical system that this acts like a fuse and that it "blows the fuse" when I use my heater and have the stero truned up.

What acts like a fuse? What fuse blows?

tagaustatoppen

1997 TJ
The sigeret lighter is wired like a switch for the ignition. It has to be pushed in (the ligher) in order to start the vehical. I still have to use the key to turn it over. When I drawing lots of amps because of running several electronical things (the setreo, the heater or a/c and running higher rpm like over 3500) the sigeret lighter will pop out acting more like a circit breaker than a switch. I think the wire that is going from the ignition to the lighter is a ground wire. I was wondering if anyone one else had a switch for their ignition (kind of an emergancy kill switch or maybe a can't get stolen so easy switch) that they use along with the keyed switch and what ignition wire is running to the switch. I have to change the switch to an accual switch because I can't have that pop out when I'm loading the electronics system. I will be working on it sometime today or tomorrow if any of you want to have more info about this I will let you know when I finish.

Last edited:

Badger

I am the Brute squad
the problem is that under the load the cigarette lighter is working like it should pull it out i bet its hot .i would say remove the feature all together and change it out for an actual switch.

you could possibly remove the ground wire from the lighter to make it a switch .you should only have to wires going to it.youre power to or from the switch and the power going out to either the starter relay or the switch.even this would not be a good idea like i said i would remove it for an actual switch rated for a good amount of amps.

you could also wire in a relay to the lighter so that the relay took the load instead of the actual lighter to keep it from heating up .if you were to do this make sure you use the proper gauge wire as well as a fuse on the main line going to the relay itself.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Have you talked to the previous owner to figure out what exactly he did? Would be easier to correct if you knew.

anvil

I agree with Badger remove the lighter from the circuit. You could probably just disconnect the 2 wires going to the lighter and hook them together. You could also use a relay which would allow you to install a small hidden switch to do the same thing the lighter was doing. Here's one way to do it.

Disconnect the 2 wires going to the lighter.
Hook one of the wires to pin 30 on the relay and hook the other to pin 87.
Ground pin 86
Hook pin 85 to a switch and the other side of the switch to 12 volts (always hot).

When the switch is closed it will be like having your lighter pushed in. If the switch is open it will be the same as the lighter popped out.

mr_blove

ask me if I care
tagaustatoppen said:
I will be working on it sometime today or tomorrow if any of you want to have more info about this I will let you know when I finish.

well................ how did it go?:confused: