Ignition systems

Dominic

I know nothing about them and the new jeep has a Crane Cams Fireball TRC-2 with a little controler that allows you to retard the timing? What does it mean? Where should I set it at?
Help

hoxviii

Ford-natic
You can use timing retard for three things really.

You can have "retard on start", which will retard your timing during cranking making it easier to start the motor if it's hot, has alot of compression, or alot of base timing.

You can have "retard on boost" for a turbo, nitrous, or a supercharger.

Then there's "tow retard". If you run alot of timing in a truck, but then want to use it to tow you can run into detonation issues. Flip the switch and lose 6-10* up top.

So, which describes you best?

Justin

Dominic

You can use timing retard for three things really.

You can have "retard on start", which will retard your timing during cranking making it easier to start the motor if it's hot, has alot of compression, or alot of base timing.

You can have "retard on boost" for a turbo, nitrous, or a supercharger.

Then there's "tow retard". If you run alot of timing in a truck, but then want to use it to tow you can run into detonation issues. Flip the switch and lose 6-10* up top.

So, which describes you best?

Justin

It has a supercharger with water injection.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I would adjust it for the boost of the supercharger if it was me. But I would also see if crane has a pdf or something you can download for instructions. You probabaly don't want to screw tith it too bad before you know what your doing. I do find it ironic though that know one has accused you of being a retard yet in a thread where you said it 10 times;)

hoxviii

Ford-natic
Yeah, look for an instruction booklet for how much, but it should probably be wired through a pressure switch that cuts timing as boost increases- if it's a centrifugal supercharger. You could also wire it through a knock sensor and amp to cut timing if it starts to detonate.

Justin