I'm calling it...the XJ is the new Samurai.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
WHOA WHOA WHOA...don't get your panties all up in a bunch, let me explain!

The Suzuki Samurai was the bargain basement, entry level 4x4. You could pick one up for 500$ back in the day though you could pay more if you were an idiot. The motors were adequate for moving a vehicle that weighed less than a ton in soft-top form and they were easy/cheap to modify. There were a dozen companies making every permutation of suspension and drivetrain parts and you could get a trail basher ready to rock and roll for a couple grand. The downside of the samurai was that it was discontinued after a short time so they are evaporating from existence.

The XJ is the new entry level, bargain basement car to get into offroading. You could always get an XJ for samurai money but early models had their downsides. The last generation update of the XJ had a decent fuel system, excellent auto transmissions and competent axles/t-case for getting started into offroading. You can find high mileage last generation XJs for a song and as with the Samurai, there are tons of parts and mods to be had for cheap.

Saying the XJ is the new Samurai is not a diss on the XJ...it just holds the crown for the entry level offroader.

What would be your pick for the new Samurai?

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
We started with an XJ for our first real offroad capable vehicle. Bought it cheap, held the whole family, parts were cheap and available, didn't care about damage.. suspension was much softer and smoother than the other jeeps.. If I buy another dedicated offroader, it will be an XJ.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Our first Jeep was an XJ and it was also the wife's daily driver. I had a mild lift and tires so she was comfortable driving it to and from work. It also worked great for accessing the car seat for junior with the extra set of doors. I then set it up to tow behind our first motorhome which multiplied its' usefullness even more. It then was the wife's daily driver, toad and weekend wheeler.

Mike.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I loved my xj, but sooner or later you realize that it is like a samurai, a throw away vehicle. I do get a kick about the ads for a cherokee with lockers and suspension in stock axles and they all want 8k.

sixstringsteve

Agreed. The best bang for the buck rig right now, and they don't even need as much work to make them capable as a sami. It's crazy how expensive sami parts have become.

Seven

where does that put me? I sold my XJ and have a samurai in my garage? I do have to admit that they do have similar qualities. Cheap to buy(you are right XJ are getting cheaper to buy than Samurai) Lots of options when building from High roller parts down to Redneck solutions. Both can keep up with more expensive brands/builds easily. However you forgot the Main differences. Samurai's have frames and wont "Taco" and they also have round headlights.

Alcancia

Here I was thinking the JKU was the new XJ... Serious off-road capability while still accommodating the car seat, mother-in-law, dog, cooler, tools, spares, and food for everyone else in the group.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Here I was thinking the JKU was the new XJ... Serious off-road capability while still accommodating the car seat, mother-in-law, dog, cooler, tools, spares, and food for everyone else in the group.

I can see your reasoning there with everything but the budget portion.:rofl:

This was probably the biggest reason we went from ZJ to JKU, kept our creature comforts yet more off-road capabilities and still tows great behind the coach.

Mike.