I'm going on a Jeep Safari

kkemp

So, excuse me while I sound like an idiot. But, I'm officially registered to go on an overnight campout trip on the Labor weekend with the Red Rock 4 Wheelers. This is my first time with the Red Rock folks. I'm doing the Delores Triangle. I have no idea what that is except it is south of the Colorado and west of the Delores and ends up on Polar Mesa. It's a 3.5 rated trail so it's nothing real hairy. The funny thing is that the club has no information on this trail on their website so I'm just hoping it's fun. I'm sure it will be. The whole idea of an overnighter (campout) sounds really cool. I thought about doing a couple of the more well known trails but I opted for one I've never heard of.

Kevin

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
I did the Dolores Triangle with the RR4W back in the mid 90's (94, 95, or 96). It was a really fun trip. Ber Knight was our leader and he made the trip very informative. You'll have a good time.

I'm sure the trail has changed some over the last 10 years, but there were a few challenging spots. The Dugway to the top of Steamboat Mesa is a fun climb and the crossing of the Dolores River is also fun. I didn't have the floor plugs in my jeep at the time and our feet got a little wet. We also had a guy in an FJ-40 break a rear axle shaft, it was kind of a freak thing as it wasn't really on an obstacle. He ended up leaving his rig there and having to go back on Sunday to replace the shaft and drive it out.

Depending on the size of your fuel tank, you may want to bring some extra gas as it is a fairly long trail. You may have the option of filling up in Gateway, Colorado if the gas station is still open. Although, I hate to think how much they will charge you.

kkemp

Floppy Hat said:
I did the Dolores Triangle with the RR4W back in the mid 90's (94, 95, or 96). It was a really fun trip. Ber Knight was our leader and he made the trip very informative. You'll have a good time.

I'm sure the trail has changed some over the last 10 years, but there were a few challenging spots. The Dugway to the top of Steamboat Mesa is a fun climb and the crossing of the Dolores River is also fun. I didn't have the floor plugs in my jeep at the time and our feet got a little wet. We also had a guy in an FJ-40 break a rear axle shaft, it was kind of a freak thing as it wasn't really on an obstacle. He ended up leaving his rig there and having to go back on Sunday to replace the shaft and drive it out.

Depending on the size of your fuel tank, you may want to bring some extra gas as it is a fairly long trail. You may have the option of filling up in Gateway, Colorado if the gas station is still open. Although, I hate to think how much they will charge you.

Thanks for the info on the trail. I'll make sure i bring plenty of gas, and my camera! I'll get some GPS waypoints too. Hopefully, I can track the whole trip.

(hmm, there's a thought for another thread.)