I'm having paint issues on my roof.

Tebbsjeep

I have the dreaded paint separation/rusting issues on my cherokee. I've been wanting to repaint the roof for a long time but never got around to it. I went through a touchless carwash yesterday and found out that I have a leak at the top of my windshield. I'm hoping that its just the seal of the windshield and not a rusted through hole. I have never seen it leak in the rain, and it could just be from the high pressure spray, but I'd like to get this fixed soon. Who do you recommend to sand down, remove rust and repaint just the roof? I'm sure I'll need to pull and reattach the windshield as well. I don't really care if the paint matches the rest of the jeep. I just want something durable and wont give me the same issues.

Attachments

• 20150625_174346.jpg
    20150625_174346.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 45
  • 20150625_174340.jpg
    20150625_174340.jpg
    684.8 KB · Views: 47

Tebbsjeep

That's what I want to know. What body/paint shops are fair and honest between Davis and Utah counties? I would have the shop do all of the work. Pull windshield, sand down, patch metal and paint.

Cascadia

Undecided
I think it'll cost you more to get that fixed right than to just buy another Cherokee with good metal. That's pretty far gone.

Tebbsjeep

Getting rid of it isn't an option at this point. I have more into it than I could get out of it. I have fixed a lot of little things as well as some big things on it already and I don't think I'll let it go till it dies. It's just a dd/camping rig with some crawling every now and then. The finished work doesn't need to be show quality. I just want the leak fixed and the rust gone with a durable finish on top. How much money are you all thinking it would cost? I had a body guy take a quick look at it and he ballparked it at around $600. I know no one can really give a factual number until they got into it, but I'm just curious. If it will be stupid expensive then I'd probably just sand it myself and reseal around the windshield and paint it. I've heard good things about using the paint used to paint over bath tubs. I know that sounds a little ghetto but I like the jeep enough to keep it, but not enough to throw a thousand bucks at a paint job.

jebuwh

I'm an estimator for a bigger shop up in clearfield if you're looking at painting it. I think it's definitely something where you could do the sanding and fixing yourself and just have a shop prime and paint. Would save a good chunk of change that way. PM me if you have any questions!