Imported mini-trucks

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
Anyone have any experience with these little Kei trucks from Japan? They've been around there since the 60's, made by all the various auto makers. They are generally around 50-60HP coming from a 0.6L 3 banger, 4x4 and low range available on many models. Most manufacturers also offer van models on the same chassis. Max width on these is 54" I believe, so they are similar size to a 4 seat UTV.

One model I've taken particular interest in is the Suzuki Jimny. It's the newer model of the Samurai, still has live axles but it's now coil sprung with radius arms. Looks like it would be comparable to a mini TJ. I've found a ton I can import for under $4K.

Unless they are 25 years old, the US won't allow them to be licensed for street use. But thanks to Utah allowing street legal ATV's, newer models can be titled as an OHV and driven around town like a UTV.

Has anyone tried this? Anybody been wheeling in one?

Jared

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Haven't tried it, but I've wanted one for several years. There was a company in Brigham City that lifted them and sold them.

BoostedRNR

I worked for a tire shop that has them in for repairs every once and a while. I asked what they think of them and nobody likes them. They're built extremely cheap and very underpowered. I think for an old guy doing small farm chores, one might hold up fine. For any of us wanting to take one up in the hills to beat around, I think we would be pretty disappointed. I would rather spend the money on a dirt cheap xj that you can find parts for anywhere. I would like to hear other opinions though, I don't have too much on hands experience with them.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
I'm sure they are under powered, particularly to us in the Untied States. Top speed is around 55-60 for most of the recent models. 60 or less HP is tiny, but it should move a sub-2k lb rig on 30" tires around fine with low gears and low range. Guys in the UK and Australia have some pretty active groups that wheel the crap out of the Jimnys. There are videos on YouTube of plenty of guys taking the trucks of road as well.

They look like they'd do very well until you came across big rocks or tall ledges. Of course, I said the same thing about UTV's, and those guys run trails in Moab I can't believe.

I'd love to find one to test drive. But I think that place in Brigham City went out of business a few years ago.

Last edited:

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
My dad has a Suzuki Carry, he runs around on the farm with it. It's right hand drive, 4x4 with tires that look like they came from a Geo metro. I believe it's even got a diff lock on it. Top speed might be around 45mph.

If I were looking for something to run around the mountains with I'd look at an ATV, the Suzuki Carry is great for throwing bales of hay on the back and feeding the cows, fixing fence, etc but isn't something I'd consider for anything other than fireroads.

Jesser04

A customer of mine has a Jimny and it’s awesome right hand drive he paid 7k for it out of Colorado. I took it around the block and couldn’t quit grinning, it’s like driving a mini box truck.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
I took it around the block and couldn’t quit grinning, it’s like driving a mini box truck.

That's kind of what I envisioned. JKU #3 and XJ #16 (not a typo) are sitting in my driveway. I've had a TJ, a YJ, a ZJ, a Bronco II, an S-15 Jimmy, a Ranger... I'm ready for something new and unconventional.

I thought our Kawasaki Teryx4 was a blast. It's about the same size and has roughly the same power to weight ratio as a Jimny, but roughly triple the cost! A Jimny would also have heat and A/C which means I'm happy in the summer and my wife is happy in the winter. We sold the UTV partly because I felt like it was just a spring and fall vehicle when the family was involved.