in search for some IFS knowledge

Yota_dvl

Selling all my IFS stuff... A guy ran over a log wrecked all his IFS stuff interedsted in mine but before he buys it he for sure wants to know what stuff will work on his vehicle and what wont
Mine is an 03 toyota taccoma his is a 96 tacoma.... i know they had the locking hubs and stufff which my taco doesn't so the cv axles shouldn't work correct ?
but will the UCA's and LCA's ?
rack and pinion ?
diff ?
all that fun stuff ?

thanks for your time

Will3161

If they are part of the same generation, they should. Locking hubs can be put on anything; and as far as I know, the CV axles are unaffected by that, but the front axle (where the diff is, and the short shaft out the side) may be different due to the method of 4wd engagement. Check wikipedia and it should tell you the year range of your generation of vehicle. Maybe someone else has more insight.

sixstringsteve

I'm 99% sure it'll all swap over. The ADD front end uses beefier cv's than the manual hubs, but the manual hubs are nice because you can unlock 'em to save some MPG. Most guys switch from the add to the manual hubs. I'd research what's involved in the manual hub swap, and you'll get your answer there. I'd check TTORA for that.

chans

If his CVs and hubs are ok then he would be set. He can use all your other components and still keep the manual hubs. If not he can use everything off yours and work fine.

Last edited:

Yota_dvl

so as long as his cv's are still good then all my stuff "should" fit and work good ?
if not then he'll have to find new cv's and hubs for his truck but everything else will work ?

chans

so as long as his cv's are still good then all my stuff "should" fit and work good ?
if not then he'll have to find new cv's and hubs for his truck but everything else will work ?

If he wants to he can use all your stuff. I personally would use the manual CVs, spindles and hubs to keep the axles from always spinning and save on gas and wear and tear on the boots. Changing the ADD tube to the manual hub extension tube would eliminate an extra part to go wrong but not necessary.
So in summary all your stuff can be switched to his. I bought all the parts from a 97 to convert my 99 to manual but decided to leave it since the manual CVs are harder to find used and I had a couple sets of the ADD CV's so I sold it to a guy with a 2004 who used the parts to convert his to manual.