Infinity Help

notajeep

Just me
My mothers infinity died, it is a 95 G20, with a 5 speed. Everything Electric works, but it will not start. It can be push started.
It dosen't click or anything. All connections to the starter seem to be tight and corrosion (sp) free.
I am thinking that it is the 5 speed equivelent of a neutral safty switch. Clutch switch??? What ever part that will only allow it to be started with the clutch pushed in. Checker and vato zone can each look up a "clutch switch" but neither can get it.
Does this sound right? Is the dealer the only source for this?
Thanks
Dan

Caleb

what about the ignition solenoid (don't know the real name)? Basically the solenoid that engages the starter? If it goes out you won't get anything. If it were a neutral safety switch you wouldn't be able to start it by push starting it because it would kill all power not letting it start.

JF1

If it has any amount of miles on it, it's most likely the starter solenoid which happens to be part of the starter. You would have to buy a new starter. My '93 G20 has had to have two starters in the past 165K miles. If you get a chance, next time it won't start, grab a heavy wrench and knock on the starter with it (careful not to get to close to the solenoid, shocking experience). If it starts right after, its the starter.
Good luck.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
what about the ignition solenoid (don't know the real name)? Basically the solenoid that engages the starter? If it goes out you won't get anything. If it were a neutral safety switch you wouldn't be able to start it by push starting it because it would kill all power not letting it start.

If the clutch safety switch isn't working you will be able to push start it, just not work the starter.

I would check out the starter solenoid also. If it's anything like a Toyota starter, the contacts inside the solenoid can be replaced easily and cheaply, and are usually the issue with the starter. (although usually they go bad slowly, getting harder and harder to start. click-click-click-click-finally start)

notajeep

Just me
Dead enough to not crank the starter but not too dead to run all the accessories. I don't know. It didn't make that much sence to me. But my father talked to someone and explained the same as I did, and the guy told him right off that the alt. belt was too loose. He tightened it and now it works great again.
Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.
Dan