Info on 4X4 in Utah from canada

jrg

Been looking but not finding much info on offroading in Utah.
There is stuff out there but doesn't go into where the trail and where the start is type of thing.
Also I know that I will need some sort of permit to travel on these trails.
From what I understand some you even get badges or what ever when you complete.
Is there a site that shows most of the popular trails and gives the info for such?
Trying to put together a list for when we go in early Sept. or early Oct.
So I can make a itinerary, not that I will stick to it all the time. :)
Will be going on trails for approx. 10 days.
Some trails I have heard of, Fins & Things, Pritchett Canyon, Valley of the Gods etc.
Skill level is intermediate +, 2021 JLUR with 3.5 MC gamechanger and 35's.
Plus a lot of other mods, as any good offroader does.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Fins & Things, Pritchett Canyon, Valley of the Gods
Those are three very very different experiences. Valley Of The Gods is neat and can be driven in a minivan if the road is dry. Fins And Things is iconic but can be completed by most stock 4WDs. Pritchett is another story entirely and probably too much for an intermediate driver on 35s, but you know your setup so...

If you're coming in to wheel the Moab area and need to know where to start, the Charles Wells book is a great resource. The Red Rock Four Wheelers publish some trail data. Trailsoffroad.com and Traildamage.com are both pay sites with good trail information.

The_Lobbster

I'm going to rain on your parade........but the only way you'll get a badge is if you buy it yourself, regardless of whether you actually wheel the trail or not.

I've known people who have wheeled Pritchett on 31's, but they had to drag cable about a dozen times. 35's and lockers would be absolute bare minimum in my head, but even then, I wouldn't take it on without a second, third, or 4th rig. There's lots of other trails around Moab that I think are cooler, and not nearly as gnarly.

I would even say that Hell's Revenge is a world famous trail, more technical options than Fins and things. Fins is where I always take people who have never been on a trail before and just want to get their feet wet.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Jeep had a trail check in thing around 2013 where if you installed the app and checked in at the trail they would send you a badge. Maybe thats what he's seeing online? I know it existed then, but don't know for how long or if its still active.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Jeep had a trail check in thing around 2013 where if you installed the app and checked in at the trail they would send you a badge. Maybe thats what he's seeing online? I know it existed then, but don't know for how long or if it’s still active.
Badge of Honor is the name of the program. Jeep has an app for it, but it’s only for Jeep brand vehicles. It is currently functioning.

jrg

Those are three very very different experiences. Valley Of The Gods is neat and can be driven in a minivan if the road is dry. Fins And Things is iconic but can be completed by most stock 4WDs. Pritchett is another story entirely and probably too much for an intermediate driver on 35s, but you know your setup so...

If you're coming in to wheel the Moab area and need to know where to start, the Charles Wells book is a great resource. The Red Rock Four Wheelers publish some trail data. Trailsoffroad.com and Traildamage.com are both pay sites with good trail information.
thanks for the info, looking forward to getting there.

jrg

You only need a permit if you're on a restricted trail in a national park, like elephant hill in Canyon lands national Park. Fins and things has a booth and it's $5 to get in.
a booth, sounds bit to much touristy for me. lol

jrg

I'm going to rain on your parade........but the only way you'll get a badge is if you buy it yourself, regardless of whether you actually wheel the trail or not.

I've known people who have wheeled Pritchett on 31's, but they had to drag cable about a dozen times. 35's and lockers would be absolute bare minimum in my head, but even then, I wouldn't take it on without a second, third, or 4th rig. There's lots of other trails around Moab that I think are cooler, and not nearly as gnarly.

I would even say that Hell's Revenge is a world famous trail, more technical options than Fins and things. Fins is where I always take people who have never been on a trail before and just want to get their feet wet.
No parade here so no rain, lol
so fins and things sounds like very beginner, unless the views are spectacular I will stay away.
Ill look up Hells revenge.
Pritchett there would be at least 2 of us and not afraid of dragging cable or in our case rope.
When you say there's lots of other trails can you name a few that are challenging.

jrg

Its a booth to enter the Sand Flats Recreation Area, a 9,000-Square acre piece of land. Similar to what you'd find at the entrance to a national park. If that's too touristy for you, well... let me tell you about this place called Moab! :D
what about the sand flats then?
Is that a place for a visit for a few days?
We will be camping and I see that there is camping there.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I guess thats what Im thinking of Moab, whats there?
Well, I mean, Moab is a giant tourist town. That is the economy for the area, tourism. And one of the big tourist draws is 4-wheeling. There are literally thousands and thousands of miles of trails surrounding Moab, and depending on when you are planning on being there, you'll be hard pressed to have a "quite" day on the trail because there will be many other people out there with you. Its fun, don't get me wrong, but if your worried about something being touristy, Moab and the surrounding area might not be for you.

Sand Flats has lots of trails and camping. You could easily spend several days there and not be bored.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Sand flats is a good place to camp. The trails right in that area are Hells Revenge, which is a Moab classic, along with Fins & Things which is also pretty fun.

While in Moab, I'd also recommend Cliff Hanger, Poison Spider Mesa, and Moab Rim but take somebody familiar with the lines on that one because it's tricky due to how the trail follows the cliff.