&*%^ing stock YJ shackle removal!!!

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
those stock rear YJ shackles are a pain in the A$$. I believe that they were assembled by Satan himself at the Factory!!

littleroom.jpg

I had to loosen the gastank and slide it over along with cutting the bolt off to get the damned thing out of there!! whose idea was it to put the bolts through that way anyway?!?

stillclose.jpg

it was still close after I used about 4 washers to space the bolt and nut away from the tank.

the dorky flat plate shackles the previous owner placed on the front were absolutely moronic!!

sissyshackles.jpg

once I got the fronts done I had to deal with those damned rear shackles!!

frontsdone.jpg

ahhh much better. a little more level but now I have to deal with driveline angles......1 inch motor mount lift is up next
muchbetter.jpg

P

pokeyYJ

I cant believe that you actually got yours out with the tank still in. I got pissed and kicked the tank forward about 12 inches, then the bolts came right out!:D

Caleb

I just cut the heads off mine and then took them out the opposite way...but dont think I didn't wrestle with them for a long time before I gave in...

another way to do it if you are replacing the rubber bushing is to either cut up the bushing or burn them out...and sometimes you have to when the steel sleeve gets rusted to the bolt...just make sure you have a full tank of gas and are very carefull:D:D:D

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by supergper
oh yeah and spence...its a Jeep thing...I think you are starting to understand:D:D:D

I still mad-dog all the jeepers checking out my rig. I still have some left over animosity towards poser jeepers that think I want to talk to them. I love giving them the mean face and watching the smile slide right off their faces.

I still don't get the jeep thing.....maybe someday someone will write a book about it....cuz I just don't understand the reasons behind brand loyalty.

I have owned, or operated, fords, jeeps, suzukis, yamahas, chevys, mitsubishis, toyotas, they have their ups and downs but the field is pretty even all the way across.

but jeep shackles have been, by far, the craziest!!! this whole project took way longer than it should have!! the fronts were done in 10-15 minutes. the rears took hours!!

flexwithswaybars.jpg

flexes up nicely with the swaybars connected :rolleyes:
goodstuff.jpg

and the tires stuff just how I like em, they nestle right in under the fender flares.. :)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaa!!

Been there, done that.... It sucked. I didn'e even put aftermarket Shackles my my YJ when I did the SOA, because of the Nightmare of helping a friend with his Shackle Swap.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
When they assemble Jeeps at the factory the springs are put on before the gas tank so the bolts are slid in from the inside only because it it faster or nobody thinks about the need to ever change them out (sometimes they are put in the other way but not very often). It is dumb but it just the way it is. The best way to deal with the problem is to cut off the bolt head and pull the remaining stud out. It was a problem from the CJ days but if you think about it the problem is easily overcome.

P

pokeyYJ

Originally posted by spencurai
flexes up nicely with the swaybars connected :rolleyes:.......
and the tires stuff just how I like em, they nestle right in under the fender flares.. :)

Hey from my experience you can get more flex if you ditch the factory sway bar, with my lift springs being so stiff I didn't even really notice it being gone. Also ditch the front and rear trac bars, when you pull the front it gets a little wierd on the street but you get used to it.

Heres a pic of mine with all that crap pulled off, and remember that this is with 31's and a 4" lift with 1" shakles

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
Spence likes the stuffing of the tires, go wheelign with him if he took those damn sway bars off he would roll the sum bi0tch.

Caleb

Originally posted by pokeyYJ

Hey from my experience you can get more flex if you ditch the factory sway bar, with my lift springs being so stiff I didn't even really notice it being gone. Also ditch the front and rear trac bars, when you pull the front it gets a little wierd on the street but you get used to it.

Heres a pic of mine with all that crap pulled off, and remember that this is with 31's and a 4" lift with 1" shakles

There's no way in hell it flexes better with the swaybar disco'd...I think they make all those sway bar disconnects just for show:rolleyes:

bobdog

4x4 Addict!

There's no way in hell it flexes better with the swaybar disco'd...I think they make all those sway bar disconnects just for show:rolleyes:
Why wouldn't it flex more without a sway bar?

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Pokey that picture it looks like your spring is bending in an unnatural way like your shackle is hitting you bumper and not able to let the leaf follow its natural arc. If it is an illusion then nevermind.

Caleb

Originally posted by bobdog
I missed the little smily face is the joke on me?

No...I was just making a point that what Pokey pointed is obvious and has been proven for a LONG time before he could walk...let alone drive...he just stated it like he discovered it:D:rolleyes:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by pokeyYJ

now swaybars I can understand.....but tracbars.....those things are rather important and I would rather not remove them....

redrock

Originally posted by spencurai

now swaybars I can understand.....but tracbars.....those things are rather important and I would rather not remove them....
my 88 don't have the sway or the trac arms hooked up little bit tipsy but don't bug me a bitand i get great flex

Caleb

Originally posted by redrock
my 88 don't have the sway or the trac arms hooked up little bit tipsy but don't bug me a bitand i get great flex

Your trac bar wont help with it being tipsy...thats the job of the sway bar...the trac bar is supposed to locate the axle under the jeep...but with leaf springs it really isn't necessary cause the springs do it for you...but by removing the trac bar you get a more free movement when flexing and can go farther(I know I described this wrong, with the trac bar on the springs and it will "fight" each other when you flex it to a certain point, that is why they have trac bars with travel)...

P

pokeyYJ

The only side effect that I noticed to pulling the trac bars was a slight bit more play in the steering response.. Try and pull the rear one first and you will feel almost no difference then pull the front one and you will get used to it really fast.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

No...I was just making a point that what Pokey pointed is obvious and has been proven for a LONG time before he could walk...let alone drive...he just stated it like he discovered it:D:rolleyes:
He he he... ha ha ha...

Bwaaahahahahahahahahaa! Just discovered...... ha ha he he. :D