installing a CB in the Suburban--it's giving me grief

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Since I'll be towing to the Rubicon, I thought it would me nice to chat with the group while on the road. To that end, I just bought a(nother) Uniden PRO510XL. This is the same model I have in my Jeep, and that radio has been awesome. I've owned it ~ 20 years and have hard mounted it in at least six different vehicles over the years, and it has never failed to give good performance.

I spent some time mounting it in just the right place in the console. Knowing this would muffle the built-in speaker, I bought a Uniden external speaker and found a nifty way to mount it in the dash, too. I have an old magnet mount antenna which I have used on occasion over the years, so I decided to put it on top of the Suburban's roof; it left just enough cable to comfortably reach the radio.

Once the hardware was more or less ready to go, I began working on the wiring. This is a no-brainer, actually; you just run the negative lead to a ground and the positive lead to a 12v source. For the ground, I used a crimp-on eyelet and attached it to a screw fastened to a steel plate under the dash. For the 12v source, I attached one of those add-a-circuit thingies and went to a switched source in the fuse box. In other words, this is exactly how I have the radio installed in my current TJ and exactly how I've done it in my other vehicles over the years.

When I turn the radio on, all I get is some soft static. It is way too quiet (compared to the radio in my Jeep) for this to be "transmission" static. Indeed, even with the squelch all the way down, there is nothing resembling a signal coming through on any channel. I can walk over to my Jeep parked 20 feet away, fire up its radio, and I hear chatter.

For whatever reason, I am wanting to blame either my voltage source or my ground. Does this sound like something that could be caused by a poor radio ground, for example? Any other ideas for me to explore?

I ran out of time to fiddle with it this morning, or else I would have removed the radio from the Suburban, took it over to the Jeep, hooked up to the same electrical connections as that radio uses (including antenna) and see if anything changes. Unless someone throws out any other ideas, that's my next move.

sixstringsteve

try cranking the volume in the suburban and talking to it from the TJ. My current radio is really quiet and I don't get any static like in radios in the past.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I would think that power is power. Either its on or off. I wonder if your antana needs to be tuned.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I would think that power is power. Either its on or off.

I generally agree, which makes me more suspicious of my ground than my power source.

when you grounded your CB, did you remove any paint where the eyelet gets grounded?

No, I did not. However, the piece of steel in question is bare (unpainted). The screw in question is holding a plastic part to the steel, but the steel screw ought to make my ground connection complete... or so I figured. Maybe not?

Sounds like maybe an antenna issue. Take the coax off the radio and see if that changes the sound/static.

I can try that, too.

sixstringsteve

No, I did not. However, the piece of steel in question is bare (unpainted). The screw in question is holding a plastic part to the steel, but the steel screw ought to make my ground connection complete... or so I figured. Maybe not?

What is the bare piece of steel connected to? A painted piece of metal? All metal connections have to be bare metal or you will have grounding issues. I'm not sure if this will cause the issue you're describing, but it definitely won't hurt.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I can't figure my problem out either, I wired my CB straight to the battery both positive and negative and now I have a horrible whine, blew Kevin's ear drums out. I had no issues when I was running it off the cigarette lighter

blznnp

not to go off subject, but do you guys know if Flying J is the only local place that sells antennas? local as in from salt lake-lehi

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Do you have a good microphone? The mic completes the circuit.

I have the (equally) new mic that came with the radio. I guess I could plug in the mic from my Jeep's radio and see if anything changes. (I say this assuming that remark was meant for me rather than Josh.)

not to go off subject, but do you guys know if Flying J is the only local place that sells antennas? local as in from salt lake-lehi

Off hand, I'd say that is your best bet.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I got home from work with a few precious minutes of daylight remaining, so I quickly took the new CB out of the Suburban and carried it (with its new mic attached) over to the Jeep. I disconnected the power and ground wires of the Jeep's radio, then connected the Suburban's wires in those exact same locations. I then unscrewed the antenna from the Jeep's radio and attached it to the new radio. When I powered it on, it was instantly louder than it had been in the Suburban. I turned to channel 12 and began listening in on a conversation. Everything was working exactly as it should.

Test over, I completely disconnected this new radio and reattached all the wires to the Jeep's radio. I then powered it on, and it worked just as it had before. I was even able to pickup the same conversation on channel 12.

I am now more suspicious than ever of the ground connection (and/or 12v source) in the Suburban.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Did you say that the only connection to ground is through a screw, and you've got a plastic trim piece between your ground lead and the body of the Burb? I dunno if that's what's causing your trouble, but I'd be suspicious of that ground.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Antenna. Take the magnet mount antenna and stick it on the Jeep hood. Connect to Jeep radio. Check results.

A ground is not gonna affect your reception as drastically as you've described. You are getting NO reception in the bulb, the way you described it.

Silly Willy

Antenna. Take the magnet mount antenna and stick it on the Jeep hood. Connect to Jeep radio. Check results.

A ground is not gonna affect your reception as drastically as you've described. You are getting NO reception in the bulb, the way you described it.

I'd have to agree with the above. It’s possible that your magnet antenna has a short in it and this is causing your issue.

I don't believe a bad ground would cause your issues. Another thing you can do is try another ground or temporarily run jump wire from what you know is a good ground to confirm that's not the issue.

I'd be willing to bet the issue lies in the antenna.