installing a windshield in a older ford...

does anyone in here have any experience installing a winshield in a 1975 ford f-250?
is it easy to do?
can i do it myself, or do i need a buddie to help me?
i have a seal and the windshield. i bought them from a wrecking yard since its a hard thing to do to get glass shop to install a windshield in that year ford.. it would cost me 450 bucks to have someone do it or 50 bucks for me to do it... any input guys?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
does anyone in here have any experience installing a winshield in a 1975 ford f-250?
is it easy to do?
can i do it myself, or do i need a buddie to help me?
i have a seal and the windshield. i bought them from a wrecking yard since its a hard thing to do to get glass shop to install a windshield in that year ford.. it would cost me 450 bucks to have someone do it or 50 bucks for me to do it... any input guys?

Just an opinion, but if a shop charges $450 labor, it probably takes quite a bit of skill and/or some specialized tools. It's not like its a flat piece of glass in a CJ or something...and even they're a pain in the a$$.:)

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
...or they might just be raping him because it's an older truck. I've run into shysters like that before. :mad2:

I believe RME has its resident glass expert that might be helpful in this case. :D Windshields are a pain in the ass, I agree. :sick:

i have installed other glass before and its simple. a few people tell me to just make sure i glue it into place right... then i turn around and tell them that its a old ford there is no glue it just sits in A rubber seal. after all night of looking last night i kinda got a idea on how to do it.. i guess i take the rubber seal and put it on the glass first, then i put vasaline on the rubber that goes around the metal on the truck, i put a long cable or strong rope in the groove that the seal will be going over the metal. then i have someone help me postion the windshield on the outside and have someone on the inside pulling the cable or rope to make the seal go around the edge.
sounds complicated but i think it might be easy

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
usually you put the seal in first

and then work the glass into it, then snap the "lock strip" back in on those older deals. I've done a few older FSJ's

Chevycrew

One trick is do it on a very hot day, it will make the rubber softer.

Install seal first, then using a liquid, soap, glass cleaner, something, put the glass in, then install the strip.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm sure the $450 price tag was for a new windshiekd and install from a glass shop. Get a 3/8-1/2" diameter cotton rope. Force the rope into the groove that sits over the body flange. This will do two things, hold the seal lip open enough to get it started past the body, and make the lip open more when you pull out the rope from inside the cab. Don't use vaseline, it's a pain to clean off. Use soapy water or glass cleaner so lube the seal and rope. Make sure your rope is smooth.

ricsrx

I like you had installed glass befor, so when it came time to do the windshield on my 70 cheve truck i thought i would save a buck and install it myself, new rubber and glass.
Well i got it in but is was a pain, i should at least got some one to help, the problem was the rubber streched so on the passenger side it didnt fit flush, i thought it might smoth out after time, nope. I wa pushing so hard on the glass at times i am suprised id didnt break it.

and my hands hurt for a week after.

PM Lewis and ask him for a quote, he just did my toyota and it was a perfect job.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
all of you guys have some good suggestions.... I have literally installed hundreds of these windshields. In the ford trucks from 1973-1979 they are part #DW819-DW820
they are rubber gasket, some have a smooth gasket(no Lock) some have crome locking strip, some have just cosmetic chrome(worst..pta), if they are non lockstrip your best of roping them in as mentioned above, if its a lockstrip gasket you can install with gasket already on pinchweld, if its a new gasket I sometimes still rope in, you could probably do it yourself, my shop only charges $65 to install your own windshield, but then I only charge around $185 for a new windshield for this truck installed, unless you need a new gasket (additional) $65. they are easy windshields to do after you have done hundreds of them. I would get some other qoutes in your area $450 sounds way high unless they are quoteing windshield, gasket, and classic chrome not lockstrip crome.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
If you need some of the thick chrome for the outside of the gasket I believe I have a set that is in good condition.
Also if you still need some help let me know.

Last edited:

LT.

We just installed one in a 68' Ford so here is how we did it. First, go ahead and purchase the new window striping. Work the new window weather striping onto the new windshield using some glue. Now, find (or purchase) a piece of nylon rope that will fit into the grove where the new weather striping will fit around the pinch weld, you will want to leave the ends of the rope sticking out so you can remove it later. After working the rope into the seam then place the glass on to the cab. While working the windshield into the pinch weld start removing the rope from the striping. It is really easy and I don't see why they are wanting to charge you so much. I don't think that it would be any different between the 75 and the 68. I hope this helps you. The really hard part of the install is putting the chrome back into the weather striping if you want it.

LT.

If you need some of the thick chrome for the outside of the gasket I believe I have a set that is in good condition.
Also if you still need some help let me know.
i got all the chrome peices i think, if not i will let ya know.. i think i might tackle this this weekend.
my bro in law said they are a peice of cake.. so i am gona have him help me.

well guys

i finally put the window in... it took longer to get it out then to put back in with my two good buddie we tore it out in like a half hour and then put it back in within 10 minutes... it wasnt as bad as i thought.
before what the window looked like...
IMG_1738.jpg

then after
IMG_1736.jpg

cant complain for 45 bucks.. that was the window and the seal from the wrecking yard.. and since i would on all my buddies trucks and cars they didnt charge to help me:D

p.s. dont mind the toyota in the back with a nissan hood... it makes a good holder for my hood while i tear my motor out of my pathfinder :)