insurance, licensing, and registering a 4x4

JJJZJ

Jager Abuser
I figure im going to need to get my 4runner all legal so I can drive it. I have never done something like this and am from Il, so i am not familiar with the laws here.

1. Insurance. What is the cheapest place to go for insuring a vehicle. I got an online quote from www.grundy.com for 65 dollars a yr. This seems insanely low.
I was told i can insure the vechicle as a recreational vehicle that is used under a certain amount of miles per yr. what do you guys know about cheap insurance. im looking for liability only.

2 licensing and registering. I know nothing about this other that I need to get the title in my name. I have the title with the owners name, but it is not signed, nor is there a price that I paid on the title. Is there anything wrong with just saying i paid like 200 dollars for it to reduce the amount that I have to pay the DMV. Also, what costs am I looking at when I head into the DMV to get it registered and licensed?

3. safety and emissions. we have emissions in Il, but not safety. What information do i need to know about this to make sure my 4 runner passes. Currently its not modified other than to top, no tailgate, and no rear bumper. what will this cost me?

any other information you guys have to help me out would be appreciated.

Caleb

1. Insurance-IMO you get what you pay for...I love my ins company but I also pay a little more, I'm with statefarm and they sem to be pretty friendly towards 4wds and modifications...some will drop you if you have it modified. You cant insure it as a rec vehicle if you expet to be able to drive it legally on the road...you can usually ins it as a "play" vehicle and you can drive no mroe than 7500 miles a year and you will usually have to show proof of that each year. Also in order to do that you will need it to be an extra vehicle (so if its just you then you need to ahve two insured if its you and your wife you will need to have three insured)

2. Liscensing and Registering-you will need to get the previous owner to sign the title, you may be able to fill out an afid davit(sp?) which you will say that you legally bought the vehicle and you fill out your name and addy and other info. You may not be able to do this though. I wouldn't put $200 unless its within reason for the actual value of the vehicle...if you put $200 and its worth $2000 then they will prolly get suspicious and will make it very hard on you...every new vehicle I ahve registered they haven't even gone off the purchase price but rather the Book Value so you end up paying any way you look at it. You will need to have it already passed safety and emissions and have the certs for them, you will need the title, possibly a bill of sale, and your check book...you will have to pay property tax and sales tax when you register it. and its based (obviously) off its age.

3. Safety and Emissions-Well you dont need a top if its a removable top, if its been chopped off you will either need to find a friend that does inspections or start welding a new top on:D...I'm not sure if it matters that there is no tailgate adn you will have to have a rear bumper, quite a few guys have fail because of this. Safety and emissions are only like $35 for the both of them I think...its like $17 for safety and a little more for emissions...something like that...its pretty cheap...

cheapzuk

emissions and inspections is $42. $25 for emissions and $17 for inspections. You will need a bumper. If you take it to an auto repair shop that does emmisions usually they arn't as thourogh as the emmision on shops.

Nixter

on the road again...
As for the Insurance question....... I'm in the industry, and that is very low premium. If you want I can give you the name of my agent (multi agent for many companies and also my friend) and he can tell you exactly what you can and can't do as far as coverage goes. If you want it, PM me.

WildYoats

Is your 4runner built? If so, there is a grundle of things that could be nit-picked at the inspection shop.

Just remember some of the basics, i.e. mudflaps, license plate lamp, all lighting, tinted windows? , bumpers (should be at least 4" tall)...

Read here for a thread on the Utah lift laws. It will put you to sleep OR your ass will get sore from reading and sitting on the pot too long with it..... :D