Interest in Reloading

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
OK, this is an amature question so bear with me.

I'm not a huge gun guy. I own a 10/22 and a 9mm pistol. I plan to expand that by another rifle of slightly higher power (.223 maybe) and probably a 12-gauge shotgun at some point in the future. Simply because my inventory is so small, and frankly because .22 and 9mm rounds have traditionally been dirt cheap, I've never been interested in reloading. But, as many of you will probably agree, the price of ammunition of all kinds is going to skyrocket in the near future.

So, here are the questions. Can you reload .22 rounds? What does it take to get started in reloading? How cheaply can one begin? Is the cost of gun powder going up along with the cost of ammunition?

I'm not looking to begin tomorrow, but I'd like to gather info. If its more economical in the long run to reload, I'd like to give it a try.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I've never heard of anyone reloading 22LR with the price it's just not worth it. Basically all a 22 is made of is a primer (which forms the body) a little gun powder and the bullet.

The cost of gun powder has been going up, along with the price of the other components. Cost to start is one of those it depends question, cheapest to start is probably a single stage press, a scale, and a powder measure. If you decide to step up to a progressive press things increase in cost but output goes up also.

Here's a good introduction with pictures:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/outd...cartridge-cheaply-another-long-pictorial.html

carsonc1974

ive never heard of anyone reloading rim fire... i dont think i would want to even if you could, kinda scary. I would say it, would be more practical if you were shooting match grade ammo all the time and trying to tune your rounds to your individual guns. if your not that deep into it yet, you can still get surplus and bulk ammo for relatively cheap..

SpeedyVic

No, you cannot, from a practical stance, relaod .22 shells.

I reload my own ammo, currently .45 ACP, 10mm, .223, and 30.06. I use a Lee Classic Cast Turret press that I bought from Kempfgunshop.com. The Lee Classic Cast is one of the better entry level semi-progressive presses. Do not mistake it for any of the aluminum Lee offerings which IMHO aren't so great. If you do decide to get into loading, I would suggesat not getting a complete kit, as offered by the various press manufacturers. Most of the things that come in the kits are either useless, or just junk. That is what was so great about getting it from Sue Kempf. You tell her exactly what you would be loading, and she will put together a good quality "kit" that is both affordable and practical.

With the Lee, I can easily press 200+ rounds of .45 ACP in a hour. Plenty fast for me. Rifle rounds require a little more prep work. You have to size, trim, and chamfer each one.

I just checked www.kempfgunshop.com and see that the prices have gone up considerably since I got set up. I think I paid $160 to get set up for 10mm. But I did have to pay extra to get both Safety Primes.

If you got the kit from Kempf's, you are looking at $209. You will then need to get bullets, powder, primers,and brass.

Plated bullets run about (9mm) $26 for 250. (http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14474-c11-g8-b0-p0-9mm_115gr_RN.aspx) local company.

Powder ≈$17 (http://www.brownells.com/reloading/...87_a_7c3466_a_7c749011974_d_749011974_d_21267)

Primers ≈$4 per hundred

Brass = free if you look hard enough.

There are some other things you would need to support your activities. A brass tumbler/cleaner, calipers, bullet puller, scale, chrono, etc. These can be had for vey cheap to very exp, depending on what you decide to get. The powder and primers will be cheaper to get locally because of the Hazmat fees during shipping, unless you start buying in bulk.

Loading your own is a great way to save money and shoot more. Plus the rounds you are making will be way better than what you can buy. I enjoy reloading just as much as I do shooting!

Good luck!

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I kinda figured that .22lr was a no go on the reloading front, but for 9mm and eventual .223 is what I'm thinking. Basically, I see the Federal government taxing the shit out of ammunition (and firearms) in lieu of being able to pass any kind of gun control laws. So even though right now it might be more economical to just buy rounds for the amount that I shoot, in the not too distanct future it wont be.

DAA

As said, not practical to reload rimfire ammo.

What does it take to get started in reloading? How cheaply can one begin? Is the cost of gun powder going up along with the cost of ammunition?

You can begin very cheaply - Lee Loader, about $30 per chambering you want to load. Slow, but loads entirely safe useable ammo.

Cost of all components has been going up way faster than inflation for a long time. I'm glad I have enough components on the shelf already to last me the rest of my life.

- DAA

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I just got a press, powder measure, and a few other do-dads to get started with reloading. I am glad you started this thread. some of the posts have been extremely helpful to let me know what I need next.

kd7kmp

Reloading is tons of fun and a good way to make less expensive ammo. I've been doing it for several years. I load mostly for .327 Federal Magnum, .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum with a bit of 30-06 and 30-30 thrown in. I cast bullets for all my revolvers and the 30-30. Don't believe the hype about saving money...you'll end up shooting more and spending more money overall (the cost savings is per cartridge)! But at least it's fun!

Kevin

STAG

On my grind
My dad and I shoot competition trap shooting and we reload our 12 guage shells for about $3.25/box of 25. About half the cost. But we don't reload any other ammunition.

Caleb

I just picked up a new reloader. I ended up going with a dillon 650. Should allow me to do upwards of 1000 per hour, now I just need to get the supplies to allow that :rofl: I still have an rcbs single stage that I'm keeping around for experimental loads.