is a 3" body lift legal

harkinoff

something to do...
just wondering if I should by a 2" or buy the 3" I need to clear my doubler, if the 3" isn't legal I have two cut on some floor boards to make the 2" work, what does the new laws say about body lifts, doesn't say like the old one...:confused:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
After searching this site I found the Lift Laws I posted some time ago. This is one of the lines in that law.

(h) so that the lowest portion of the body floor is raised more than three inches above the top of the frame.

After reading this, I would say you are ok to raise it 3".

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
If memory serves me correctly, the new law limits it to 2". Just skip the whole body lift thing, and invest in some sawzall blades.....:D

TNT

The way I understand it is that it can only be 2". The existing body mounts are already about 1" tall, add a 3" bady lift and you body is 4" above the frame. But I'm open to any clarification.

Todd

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
ahh we have a thinker here. you make a good point but I would still say you could get away with it. I wouldn't do a body lift but if you must....

Caleb

well only some body lifts use the existing puck(which I think is stupid) but it doesn't read you can add "x" amount it says the lowest part of the BODY is no higher than 3" above the frame...if you ask me that doesn't say how much you can lift any certain vehicle only where you have to stop...the outer edge isn't always the lowest portion of the body...and with a BFH I can make any body lift legal:D:D:D

tv_larsen

I suspect that the "spirit" of the law is to allow 3" body lifts, but it is a poorly worded law written by people who do not understand trucks at all. But, if so desired, some my only read the "letter of the law" and declare 3" body lifts illegal.

But, I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for a 3" body lift, or an inspection rejection.

Also, under the old law (not sure about the new one), shackle lifts were illegal, but I never heard of anyone getting rejected for them.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by supergper
well only some body lifts use the existing puck(which I think is stupid) but it doesn't read you can add "x" amount it says the lowest part of the BODY is no higher than 3" above the frame...if you ask me that doesn't say how much you can lift any certain vehicle only where you have to stop...the outer edge isn't always the lowest portion of the body...and with a BFH I can make any body lift legal:D:D:D

most times the existing "puck" is a poly or rubber mount. you need that to insulate vibrations because that plastic spacer will not isolate vibes!!