Is a Slip Yoke the only way?

JPNGRL44

Unhealthy Obsession
I have a 2000 TJ with a 4" lift, I have dropped the transfer case about 1 1/2", and it is eating through rear u-joints like they are going out of style. Is a slip yoke eliminator the only way to fix the problem?

JPNGRL44

Unhealthy Obsession
It keeps stripping the caps on the lower, if i bought a heavy duty u joint would it last any longer? Do you know of anywhere to have the drive shaft rebuilt for the slip yoke?

CRAZYCJ8

Cheap fixes will only explode on the trail, and cost you more in the long run.... no "drive shaft" has a slip yoke built into it. My sugestion is buy the slip yoke, if thats not possible, drop to 3 inch springs and 1 inch body and MM lift. upper rear ajst arms to clear 35's

mr_blove

ask me if I care
A extreme short shaft kit for your transfer case is like $325 at teraflex it shortens the output by like 3.5 inchessupposedly it is shorter than the atlas t-caseII(according to their pamplet) I just had a np231 put in my XJ by curtis tatton and he put that extreme short shaft kit in it and now it has a sweet angle to the rear pinion I have a 5 in lift.

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
JPNGRL44 said:
Sorry maybe i am confused.......... if i buy a slip yoke for it won't i need to have a new drive shaft for it as well?

You are thinking of a slip yoke eliminator. Your driveshaft already has a slip yoke.

JPNGRL44

Unhealthy Obsession
AINT SKEERED said:
You are thinking of a slip yoke eliminator. Your driveshaft already has a slip yoke.

so if i buy a slip yoke eliminator for it, i will need to have the drive shaft rebuilt or custom built or whatever correct? It so then where in the area can i have that done? and will that eliminate my u joint problem?

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
JPNGRL44 said:
so if i buy a slip yoke eliminator for it, i will need to have the drive shaft rebuilt or custom built or whatever correct? It so then where in the area can i have that done? and will that eliminate my u joint problem?

Yes, if you buy a SYE you will need, depending on your kit, a CV style driveshaft.

I would go to Six States.

Yes it will eliminate your u-joint problem if done correctly.

mr_blove

ask me if I care
I bought a newer np231 and extreme short shaft kit put in it, also a new drive line built and my rear diff rebuilt all at Tattons just off main and 4500 south he is the guy that does Teraflex drive shafts so that has gotta say something about his work his number is 979-4908 his name is curtis tatton

JPNGRL44

Unhealthy Obsession
mr_blove said:
I bought a newer np231 and extreme short shaft kit put in it, also a new drive line built and my rear diff rebuilt all at Tattons just off main and 4500 south he is the guy that does Teraflex drive shafts so that has gotta say something about his work his number is 979-4908 his name is curtis tatton

so how exactly does that set up work? I am not familiar with it at all. the short shaft kit was 325 or the entire rebuild?

Badger

I am the Brute squad
as said you need a slip yoke eliminator and a new drive shaft.your shaft only has one part that can be reused on the new shaft and that is the lower yoke.the price of that yoke isn't worth chopping the shaft for just sell it after you get it out or throw it out.

as said you can get the Teracrap one for 325 or go with a Novak for 300.i wouldn't doubt it if they actually make it for Tera.you can also get a Tom Woods kit for 400 and that will come with a driveshaft.well when you get done you take the measurement call him up and he will send it out that day or next day.

mr_blove

ask me if I care
to build a new one and balance it(i also think the labor was included in this) he only charged me like 200 cause thats what he quoted me actual price was $235. over all everything cost about $1800 but he quoted me $1595 so thats what I paid.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
JPNGRL44 said:
so how exactly does that set up work? I am not familiar with it at all. the short shaft kit was 325 or the entire rebuild?

325 would be just for the kit .it will cost you more to have it installed then another 250 atleast for a new drive shaft.

right now you have a solid driveshaft with a slip yoke on the upper end.this slip yoke slides into the transfercase and allows for the driveshaft to move in and out of the case as the rear axle moves up and down.now look at the front driveshaft you will notice it has a break in the middle with slip yoke placed and the break.when the front axle goes up and down this is what will allow for the difference in length as the axle moves.this is what you want the rear shaft to look like.it takes strain off the rear output shaft of the transfercaes as well as shortens the rear case so that the angles are better.

also if you are going through lower u joints you might want to get adjustable upper arms to help bring the pinion down.

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Didn't read all the way through the thread, but another thing you will need to consider soon is rotating the axle up to get a proper degree angle on the ujoints.

The pinion yoke should be right in line with the driveshaft if you get a double cardon shaft w/ slip joint eliminator. If you stay with a single joint shaft, the joints need to be the same degree to avoid vibrations and premature wear.

JPNGRL44

Unhealthy Obsession
Herzog said:
Didn't read all the way through the thread, but another thing you will need to consider soon is rotating the axle up to get a proper degree angle on the ujoints.

The pinion yoke should be right in line with the driveshaft if you get a double cardon shaft w/ slip joint eliminator. If you stay with a single joint shaft, the joints need to be the same degree to avoid vibrations and premature wear.

Not sure I follow what you mean...................:-\

Meat_

Banned
JPNGRL44 said:
..It so then where in the area can i have that done?..

If your area "Location: Stuck in Utah Valley" is indeed Utah County, you want to go to Gaylon's Driveline's, 544 East State, Lehi, (801) 768-3171 John will build you a very good driveline for a better price, he can put your SYE in too.