Is AK-47 or SKS better?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I am looking into getting one of these and don't know which is a better/more reliable/more accurate/easier parts/etc.
any help would be appreciated.

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
SKS is going to be cheaper. It's also going to be heavier. I've seen a few Yugos that were unreliable, but overall its a very solid rifle. The 10rd capacity can be annoying, but its reliable. If you get tired of loading it with stripper clips you can get a detachable magazine that will never work right. There are lots of accessories for the SKS. Folding stock versions make it lighter, but also mess up the balance of it, IMO.

The detachable magazine is the main difference between the two. AK rifles are lighter, better balanced, cooler looking, and more fun, but way more expensive. I haven't been around them enough to know about reliability, but have never heard of any problems with an AK. Most that you find are romanian, which seem to be the most cheaply made, so if you find one thats not, whether its Yugo, or chinese, or whatever, go for it. You can also get the russian made Saiga, which is a very high quality AK for the price (and comes in a huge variety of calibers, from 7.62x39 to .308 to .410 to 12ga, but most don't have a pistol grip.
Accessories for both the SKS and AK are plentiful. If you have the money, the AK is a better rifle. If you are on a budget, an SKS will shoot something just as dead and is never a bad thing to have. If you like having guns like I do, get them both. Both will be fun, reliable, and innacurate.

Thats everything I know about the two.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
If I had $1000 to spend... I would go with the SKS. $300 for the rifle. $100 worth of accessories and the rest on ammo. $600 would get you ~3000 rounds.

The same money on the AK47 would be the rifle ($600), accessories ($100) and just 1500 rounds of ammo, give or take.

Unless your packing it, weight and size are really a non-issue. I've found them both to have about the same accuracy which is decent.

I'm actually looking at an AK74 right now :eek:

utah340six

boy are things changing.
i remember hauling a toyata truck full af sks & amo to my friends gun store back in the old days you could get an sks and a case of ammo (1200 rounds) for $89.00 each.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I have an SKS and like it.

I've noticed a MAJOR difference in performance based on which clip is in it. There's a wide variety of aftermarket clips out there. Buy quality.

I have friends with AK's and can say that they are good rifles. I feel that they are more balanced than the SKS, but some of the various wooden stocks seemed very uncomfortable for me.

Good luck either way. :cool:

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
You can also get the russian made Saiga, which is a very high quality AK for the price (and comes in a huge variety of calibers, from 7.62x39 to .308 to .410 to 12ga, but most don't have a pistol grip.

Easy conversion ;)

2a5ngyd.jpg

mesha

By endurance we conquer
It is hard for me to spend the money on both right now. I want to buy some optics for my AR. So I will ahve to pick. The AK sounds more reliable, but sks is cheap. Sinceit is just a fun gun I may just get the SKS. Plus then I will always wish I had the AK so I will need to buy one of those. I have been reading about some feeding issues with certain ammo. What should I avoid?

I put a lot of time into this myself. The WASR AKs are about $370 at Impact up in Ogden. Supposedly about 1 in 10 has some little issues I guess you can look at how the gas tube lines up to see if its a good one as that's the problem. That would make them pretty comparable.

Supposedly the SKS are just as reliable as the AKs... You have to use the Tapco removeable magazines with the SKS, the rest don't work well I hear. Mine shoots great and is very accurate with the metal site at least.

So for all these reasons I went through all this myself and chose SKS to 'build' Here is the thread... It also has the best part/required tools in the parts list of how to add a scope to either, which is probably not the smartest thing as neither will particularly group well I think...

http://www.utahfirearm.com/showthread.php?t=89

redXJ

Thats what she said
I miss my sks. I never had magazine problems(30round clip). I have shot both. I would go ak47 because if the world crashes and it every one for them self/zombies come. there will be more parts and ammo. my .02

Last edited:

DAA

boy are things changing.
i remember hauling a toyata truck full af sks & amo to my friends gun store back in the old days you could get an sks and a case of ammo (1200 rounds) for $89.00 each.

Yeah, I remember seeing them like that, still in the crates, for like you said, $89. And I also remember not being able to imagine anyone who would buy one :rofl:.

- DAA

outlaw_offroad

XJ Pride!!!
I own both an AK and SKS. I like them both. Both are easy to clean and maintain. My neighbor, who is a retired para-rescue officer, swears by the AK. He says it is the only weapon that will consistently fire in jungle environments and when truely abused.

If you get an SKS, look for a Norinco Model D. They came from the factory with AK clips. They are extremely reliable and pretty accurate. I had mine on the range a few weeks ago and was hitting 12 inch targets at 340 yards standing, with open sights. My AK was hitting the same. I bought my SKS last year used for $350 with 2 clips, 400 rounds, and an extra composite stock. My AK was bought this year from Impact for less than $500 out the door. Can be bought for around $400. I spent the extra $$$ on an underfold, which I highly recommend.