Is my tranny going out?

lostsamurai

FnZuKiN24/7
About a month ago i changed my clutch, while i had my tranny hanging there i lost some fluid, being a dumb $%# i figured it's ok it didn't look like much,
recently it's been hard to get into 1st gear, so i filled it up about a half a quart, i dont htink that much came out, must have altready been low, anyway it has not gotten better and it starting to do the same in second gear,could it be a bushing or what? its fine once in gear drives great it's just hard to put in! Any help i could get would be appreciated.

KHalls

Extendurai
Pull up carpet (if you have it), take out 4 bolts and pull up shifter boot and frame, pull up rubber lower boot far enough to take out 3 bolts and then pull shifter assembly up out. Pay attention, as sometimes the shift locator bolt on the backside of the shifter housing can be broken and fall into the trans. There is a plastic piece in there that is known to break often. It should come out with the shifter. I suspect that hanging your trans may have put alot of pressure on this and maybe broke it. You can get these at any zuk vendor. I also hope that this is what the problem is, but it is good to check out the simple things first. Clutch cable adjustment would be another thing to check. It may not have enough free play.
I hope this helps.
Scratch that. The clutch cable could have too much free play, not allowing the clutch to disengage enough to shift smoothly.

Last edited:

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
About a month ago i changed my clutch......recently it's been hard to get into 1st gear......

That is enough info to think that maybe you just need to adjust your clutch. Did anything settle in? wear in? come loose? Check the fuild, make sure the levels are ok, but also check your linkage and other bolts to make sure it is still all tied together right.