Votes: 10 20.0%
  • Rockcrawling is a Hobby.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • It is both a sport and a Hobby.

Votes: 28 56.0%

• Total voters

grinch

inner city redneck
I have come to the conclusion that the people who think Rockcrawling is a sport are the people who have never competed in a sport in a controlled competitive nature weither it be in High School or College. But I guess it's not there fault because they know no different.
Wrong agine.... I was the Utah state gymnastics champion in my class divisoin 3 years in a row...... In all around, High bar, pommel horse, rings, ect..... I think I kind of understand the commitment involved in sports, what it takes to get good, and what a sport is.....
As far as practising for spotting.... Well we dont pratice enough thats part of the reason we never win..... but I can admit that with a smile :D I do it for the love of the sport.

S

sukaB

That's a pretty sheltered lame way to look ...But that's your opinion and your intitled to it....
Yah what's your name....?

Bart

Originally posted by stp189
...I have come to the conclusion that the people who think Rockcrawling is a sport are the people who have never competed in a sport in a controlled competitive nature weither it be in High School or College. But I guess it's not there fault because they know no different....
You are entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't make you right. I competed in football all through high school, competed in bike racing, both road and mountain, and competed in ski racing and ski jumping, all of which I considered sports.

In my humble opinion competitive rock crawling is indeed a motorsport and recreational wheeling is a hobby. Both are fun.

Bart

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
For how strongly you guys belive in your "sport" there are just as many the agree with me. Just look at the poll.
And there are three times as many who think it is a sport AND a hobby. You post a flawed poll, you get flawed results. Do you even have a 4x4?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla

Motor sports are just different that physical sports. They should not be put in the same catergory.

where did this moron come from.....obviously you have never talked to a professional pit crew for Indy, Cart, Nascar, Baja or NHRA drag racing....nope....nothing physical about that....you obviously have never talked to a professional race driver about the physicality of the various forces involved.....

as far as rock crawling....you obviously have never talked to a competetion spotter.....

You.....stp19746....or whatever your name is....ARE A FOOL!!!

ohh yeah and I competed in football, track and field throwing shotput and discus, I also competed in weight lifting for which I held a state record for a year or two....just because we aren't running around bumping into other people or chasing a puck doesn't mean it isn't sporting....how do you call Ice dancing or synchronized swimming a sport.....I will tell you how.....

BECAUSE ANYTHING WHERE COMPETETION EXISTS CAN BE LABELED A SPORT!!! PROFESSIONAL BALLROOM DANCING IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST SPORTS IN THE WORLD OUTSIDE OF THE USA!!!

Every time we go out as a group, there is competetion to see who can drive better or who has a better rig.....it is sporting all the way around....

stp189

You guys need to relax. You obviously can't have a relaxed conversation without freeking out. Sound like some issues to me. I am at work right now. It is pretty physical at times and there is a lot of compition with other co-workers for raises. Is it a sport? And please don't bring up Jr High as an example. If you are still thinking of that far back, you need some help. Live in the now.

Again, look at the poll. 50/50

K85k03

To me there has always been something wrong with an activity where it matters how well I do depending on how well a judge likes the color of my shorts or how my hair is done.

I think the word Sport is used a little lightly. I think Andy hit it on the head. These activities are for RECREATION and RELAXIATION. There for sure is a lot of stress related with it but last time I checked, you don't have to be in any kind of physicial shape to get over Golden Crack. It surely takes some DRIVING skill but I am sure physically you don't have to be on the top of your game.

I have come to the conclusion that the people who think Rockcrawling is a sport are the people who have never competed in a sport in a controlled competitive nature weither it be in High School or College. But I guess it's not there fault because they know no different.

ok I have been a three sport athlete all through high school and i have seen rock crawlers in better shape than football players, and even some wretlers. I know it takes more mental than physical to be able to crawl atleast recreationaly, but in competitions these guys have to obey the rules (like any other sport) they have a time limit (like other sports) and they have to some sort of physical fitness to them, they can't be couch potatos. I know I would want somebody thats physicaly fit to be spotting me, and if I am driving I don't want to be wore out by the end of the day.

come on does anybody even know what the definition of a sport is?

according to websters dictionary online:

sport ( P ) Pronunciation (spôrt, sprt)
n.

Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
A particular form of this activity.
An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
An active pastime; recreation.

no tell me that rock crawling competitions is not a sport. please. :D

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
You guys need to relax. You obviously can't have a relaxed conversation without freeking out. Sound like some issues to me. I am at work right now. It is pretty physical at times and there is a lot of compition with other co-workers for raises. Is it a sport? And please don't bring up Jr High as an example. If you are still thinking of that far back, you need some help. Live in the now.

Again, look at the poll. 50/50

no, your reading comprehension is just off. Nobody freaking out here, just speaking up.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Originally posted by cruiseroutfit
So stp189, are you ever gonna give us a proper intro. about yourself? Some of us are wondering if you have a 4x4...:eek:
Yes, do tell. Have you taken that M Class into that muddy parking lot at the bottom of Deer Valley?:p

Turbobob

Semper Fi
In reading some of these posts & from my own experiences, it is both. If you are doing it competitivly, it becomes a MOTORSPORT. If you are out with your buddies on the trail, then IMO it is a hobby/recreational activity. As for those that don't think motorsports are physically demanding, try motocross. You have to be in top condition to stay competitive. Try drag racing. With the adrenaline rush & stresses of keeping a car at 325 mph on the track, it is exhausting. I drag race every summer and my car is nowhere near that fast & it wears me out by days end. Just some things to think about:D

xjc

I give up :(
If you can do it and look like Porturnzuke's (i Can't spel) crackmiester ars jiggler,

NOT A SPORT :p :p :p

chess
poker
packman

you can compete at anything but dat don makut a sport

Unless of coarse you drive a cherokee sport, in which case, it most certainly is:D

TigerStripe40

Arrogant Bastard
Hobby...

Would you call someone who drives a rock crawler an athlete???

I wouldn't.

SOmoene who slams twinkies 24/7 and weighs 300 lbs is just as adept at driving a rockcrawler as someone who works out 3 hours a day 6 days a week.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Originally posted by TigerStripe40
Hobby...

I wouldn't.

SOmoene who slams twinkies 24/7 and weighs 300 lbs is just as adept at driving a rockcrawler as someone who works out 3 hours a day 6 days a week.
Read the entire thread and you'll see why that is an extremely misguided point of veiw.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by TigerStripe40
Hobby...

I wouldn't.

Another person that hasn't been to a rockcrawl... or ever spotted for someone...

missed your intro as well... WTF are ya?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by cruiseroutfit

Another person that hasn't been to a rockcrawl... or ever spotted for someone...

missed your intro as well... WTF are ya?

we seem to be getting a lot of these lately....

grinch

inner city redneck
I agree..... Way to many..... Im starting to understand why the original guys on the pirate board are such hard asses alot of the time.....