Is the ammo grab over yet?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I'd like to go find an empty patch of desert this Sunday and make some loud noises. I don't have any rounds though, where's my best chance of picking up a box or two of .22?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Good luck... As far as I can tell, the ammo grab is still in full swing for .22lr. Many other previously hard-to-find calibers are now available, but .22 is still hard to find.

skeptic

.22lr and 9mm is still hard to find. When it comes up 9mm is a bit over priced, and .22lr is about double what it used to be. In talking with the local gun store, they are paying more than they were before so it's not the gun stores doing the gouging.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
What is up with the .22 grab?
I can see the usual pistol and ar rounds but 22 rim fire?

I think that's related to the cost of everything else. When the other ammo is going for $.50 to $1 a round (or more) the 22 looks really attractive. Even if it's not what you would like to be shooting, you're at least shooting.

DAA

.22 is the most used ammo there is. More people own more .22s than any other chambering, by a huge margin. It would also be very high on my list, like at the top, if I had to choose one gun to keep. I can kill anything in North America with one. Quietly, cheaply. Best chance for finding ammo while scavenging or looting the bodies of the people you've just killed etc. too.

- DAA

DAA

P.S... The last time I bought .22 ammo, I paid $6 each for 550 packs. That was many years ago. I still have enough left that I'll never run out. I shoot quite a bit more than most folks do, too... :cool:.

- DAA

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
...When it comes up 9mm is a bit over priced...

I didn't get my 9mm until after the ammo craze, but down here in UT county it's pretty easy to find a box of Blazer Brass - 50 rounds for $14.99 - not sure how that compares to the good 'ol days...

chans

.22lr and 9mm is still hard to find. When it comes up 9mm is a bit over priced, and .22lr is about double what it used to be. In talking with the local gun store, they are paying more than they were before so it's not the gun stores doing the gouging.

The gun stores like Impact and Get Some are totally gouging. 22 does show up occasionally at Cal Ranch, Sportsmans etc and online like Midway and it is still priced what it was last Summer/Fall like 19.99 - 22.00 a brick of 550. For 50 - 75 a box I will shoot a pellet gun instead since it is just as fun.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I really don't know how shooting clubs are still putting on monthly shoots. My dads club, Hobble Creek Wranglers just had their annual shoot and had a really good turn out. I am afraid to shoot what I have and I have a lot more ammo than most and I know a guy with more money in ammo than his house is worth. I am starting to divert funds from my 401K and am investing in my 401A. Ammo and components bought now will be much cheaper than in the future and if the SHTF it will be good bartering for anything else you need.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Simple answer how people are still competing. Reloading. Components are hard to find, but its about $120 to reload a 1000 rounds of 9mm