Is this a good deal?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
4x4phil said:
now guys, I think I remember him saying somewhere that he was on a budget, or are you just dream talking. I like to think about what I could do too, but then I get my paycheck and realize that yea, I'm just dreaming. Well then again I have seen Mark's (spelled with a k or c?) wrangler, wow.

Mine???? (and it's Marc)... I went with the D300 cuz I'm on a budget (probably like no one else on here....:D). The rest of my rig is 'budget' also....parts I had or knew someone had that I could pick up on the cheap. If he doesn't do the flip kit and uses a passenger drop axle, I think the D300 would be a way sweet, upgradeable case to use in his Cherokee with the 4.3L. He kind of loses the 'high pinion'-drivers drop thing, but gets a decent case in exchange.....

TONS of options on how to build the $500 XJ.....:D

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Supergper said:
actually I am very happy with my B&M sport shifter...and none of the other companies could even get close to the price.
I like mine too. Then again, I'm only using about half of it...

fordy4

I like the idea of keeping the maual that is in it. I did find out that it is an 84 xj that originally had the 2.8. He had a mechanic friend do the swap, and it was pretty straight forward. He siad from the pictures in his manual it looked like the AX5. He said it looks like it comes apart in the middle, and the drian is on the bottom. He could not count the splines cuz he still has the transfer case bolted on. Could this still be the AX15? He said he wheeled it with no problems, but he had a klune and a tera low kit in the 231.

fordy4

I like the idea of keeping the maual that is in it. I did find out that it is an 84 xj that originally had the 2.8. He had a mechanic friend do the swap, and it was pretty straight forward. He siad from the pictures in his manual it looked like the AX5. He said it looks like it comes apart in the middle, and the drian is on the bottom. He could not count the splines cuz he still has the transfer case bolted on. Could this still be the AX15? He said he wheeled it with no problems, but he had a klune and a tera low kit in the 231.

Caleb

fordy4 said:

if its the stock 5 speed from an 84 then its a POS...like Brett said, its prolly the puegot. The thing isn't even worthy of being a boat anchor. You should deffinitely replace that tranny no matter what you do.

4x4phil

The ax15 separates near the middle and the drain plug is on the very back of the tranny. The ax5 does too. The peugot is sealed in front of that divide and has a small hole in the back. If it starts leak out that hole it means the seal's gone bad. The drain plug in on the main body. All three separate in front of the shifter. The reason for this is so you can change the tail housing to accomidate the 231 pattern for the wrangler and the cherokee (the cherokee clocks the tc down further). And once again neither novac nor AA sell a bell housing adapter for the 4.3 to the peugot or ax5. Maybe somebody else does but I don't know who else would. Those trany's are such pos's (i've personally changed out three of them) that manufacturers don't even see the point. I still really think you have the ax15. If it isn't, deadeyeJ has one he'll sell you for 100$. You're friend doensn't know what tranny it has? Weird. Usually when you build a jeep of that magnitude you now every component by heart. If it is the ax15 you should be able to get that thing on the road really cheap like.

Last edited:

4x4phil

the peugot trany would have been what it originaly came with. the ax15 wasn't available on those models and would have had to be installed most likely with the motor swap.

fordy4

4x4phil said:
I still really think you have the ax15. If it isn't, deadeyeJ has one he'll sell you for 100$. You're friend doensn't know what tranny it has? Weird. Usually when you build a jeep of that magnitude you now every component by heart. If it is the ax15 you should be able to get that thing on the road really cheap like.

I know, I can't believe he doesn't know what trannie it is, very weird! I hope your right and it is an AX15 and he just doesn't know that it was swapped in. I really need to keep my ford dana 44 with the drivers pumpkin as part of the buildup,(I have a lot of $ in it) so going with the 231 and AX15 seems easier unless flipping the D300 is not that big of a deal? I've never wheeled with a manual, but if it is not an AX15, maybe I will make the purchase from deadeyeJ and learn, unless I can get a GM auto and D300 flipped for around the same price?
So, if it is 23 spline output, is it definitely an AX15?

Last edited: