Is this for real, and for how long?

jdub

Scrambler
Despite the troubles that Toyota experienced with the whole safety issue I still feel that their product is good overall. If someone handed me a Tundra I'd drive it without hesitation. But this kinda stuff makes me feel like I am being lied to or at least too indefinite to make me feel like it is true. "We spend one million dollars every hour for ten hours yesterday!" That is a lot of money, or is it money they are spending on recall work? It also makes me believe that their stuff must be seriously wrong cause my 1985 vehicle stops just fine. Is there more to the story that would need a multimillion dollar change? Does this marketing campaign sound strange to anyone else? Does anyone from the Toyota world know any real, measurable facts about the recalls that would be helpful for consumers?

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 74

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
If they're spending a million dollars a day, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and not just figuring "business hours", that calculates out to 8.something billion dollars. That's on par with what Verizon has spent building it's network every year for the last ten years. Big companies play with big money, most of them just don't advertise it. ;)

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Toyota products have gone to crap. I drive one and love it however I would never get a new tacoma though with all trouble they have been having with them and they know about it and don't change the bad.

jdub

Scrambler
Or sending a crap-load of letters. I didn't think the quality thing was that big of deal but now I think 'cause of the billions of dollars spent that there is some crap rolling off the lines. Or is it billions they already were spending but now want us to know the budget, maybe the budget for all the postage, 'cause that is all they have listed on the site saying "what we are doing."

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 21

jdub

Scrambler
I guess that I would like to see some "we're sorry quality got away from us here's some amazing deals, or buy one tundra and get a corolla for free deals." Toyota needs to invest in their customers, send out a $100 gas card to anyone that has purchased with them to say sorry for the hassle. It seemed like a lot of BP oil type fumbling was going on at first, like the BP commercials I feel like I am being told what to think and not shown anything substantial to decide for myself.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Did quality get away from them?
Early Tests Pin Toyota Accidents on Drivers

More recently:
U.S. Review of Toyota Recorders Finds No New Defects

Yeah, you don't hear the press repeating that every 14 minutes ;)

I'm hopeful this last round of issues facing Toyota-USA (this has not been much of an issue for Toyota outside of the US fwiw) will force Toyota to re-think their engineering and marketing for the US spec'd vehicles. We get some decent platforms, but they then crowd them with too much stuff, make them too luxury and therefor push the price too high. The new LandCruiser is $75k! I'd love to see a $50k option with vinyl floors, cloth seats and hand crank windows... sorta like their overseas stuff. Utilitarian vehicles built to be used.

Last edited:

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I remember when Audi got a bad rap back in the 70's for stuck accelerators and then it was the Jeep and then the Toyota and in each case it was proven that it was the driver hitting the accelerators when they thought they were hitting the brake. Makes you wonder why this myth keeps getting promoted. I agree with Kurt, all manufacturers should make bare bones work type trucks and cars.

jdub

Scrambler
I really liked the rubber floors in my wifes old ford sport track! When I see cars for sale I get turned off by electric windows, hand cranks work pretty good and almost all the time. I agree Kurt, having seen toyotas in Costa Rica. We don't have as cool of vehicles as we could. Thinking HILUX... They really are stripped down versions of what we have as far as gadgets.

Top Gear's episode with the hilux truck is amazing.

Are automobile techs going to need to be electricians in the future? I saw a Jeep Grand Cherokee in the Junk Yard and HOLY Wiring harness!!!

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Toyota has been and I believe still is the "wealthiest" in the industry. I worked for the firm back in the late 80's and early 90's (involved with the launch of the last MR2 and Previa). The buzz 'round the office at the time was an article in "Money" circa 1990 that stated Toyota had enough liquid to buy Ford & Chrysler and all is subsidiaries and have a billion left over. The article also stated the only thing that prevented Toyota from over-taking "The Big 3" is the lack of a full size truck and predicted that the soon-to-be-released T-100 would go a long way towards becoming #1 in the US.

That being said, Toyota used that capital to great effect when it came to protecting their brand image. Toyota had it's problems.... rust being a huge one but they always took care of the customer. Over the years they've avoided some issues they probably should've been a recall but they fired new vehicles at the affected customers; the early Tacomas with frame problems is a good example. What Tacoma owner is going to complain about Toyota when their rusting frame issue was solved by getting a brand new Tacoma? Toyota also maintained (and still does) a fleet of yachts in Ft Lauderdale (all called "Gallant Lady") that was used often to take gov'ment people to the Bahamas or just have a smart dinner party.

SET (Southeast Toyota) also maintained a huge legal department that spent most of it's time defending the company from lawsuits brought by Toyota dealers who often claim restraint of trade of other strong-arm tactics. One of the companies under the umbrella was called "The Dealer Development Group" which lent $ to people who couldn't secure bank financing to open or expand a dealership. It was through this group SET ruled with an iron fist since most of the dealers owed their souls to the company store.

I could go on and on..... good times. Personally with the exception of the Jeep I drive now, I've only owned Toyotas but I was sure to trade them in before the rust. :)