Isuzu dana 44 rear end ?'s

Paudrhound

Hi just wondering if the Isuzu D44's are good rearends?

Are there lockers and gears available?

Thanks in advance for helpful answers.

Rodeoman

it really depends on what you will be using it for. On older housings like mine pre '98 you can use standard Dana stuff on them as far as the R&P go. So your choices there are unlimited. Since I do not know what you will be using it on, it does have 6X5.5 bolt pattern, like most chevys and toyotas and some other import trucks. As far as the shafts go if they break they are like $300 or more each from dealer, so custom shafts are in order. It has disc brakes if it came from V6 Rodeo. They are 58" wide +/-. On 1998 Rodeos (new body style)they are even wider 60" plus but Isuzu went funky on those rear ends, nice thing about later rear ends is that they are set up for 4link as the 97 and prior is set up with SUA. Gear ratios are 4.30 for manuals and 4.10 for autos. I have used mine pretty hard and hasn't given me a much trouble, this weekend I am planning to weld the rear up as it is dedicated trail truck now. Hope this gives you some info. There is a bunch of info on Isuzu stuff on Pirate Isuzu board, also visit 4x4wire.com Isuzu board.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Availability on junkyard shafts shouldn't be a problem, I see complete rear ends all the time for 125-150 and the PNP's

Rodeoman

You can find some, there is no doubt about it, but it is hard to get ahold of some of that zu stuff. I know that right now at pick and pull at 3300 s 500 w there are few Rodeos and one new gen Trooper. I might be heading there this Saturday to pick me a auto tcase for my dual case conversion if I ever go through with it. Friend told me there were two around as of last saturday. you got to remember that most of those JY shafts have at least 100000 miles on them plus and we don't know what type of abuse or neglect they went through. I have a spare Isuzu D44 housing and am thinking about measuring stockers this coming weekend and putting in order for some chromos just to be on the safe side with 35's. weighed my truck at local scale and pig weighs like 4800 pounds and that is not even fully loaded for trail mind you.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Well if your that worried about breaking stock axles then you should probably not waste your time with a 44. Good luck on a rear 44 chromos too, they are few and far between, even blanks are tough. You will most likley just find the upgraded alloy shafts like 15 percent stronger over stock

Rodeoman

Well not that I am worried, they have been holding up pretty good, I know of only one guy that has broken rear axleshaft so far. I will be welding it up this weekend needles to say it will see more stress than it did with TruTrac that is currently in there. So if I can I will upgrade shafts, if not, I might replace it with something stronger if need be.

Last edited:

Paudrhound

Thanks for the input.

I am looking to swap one into an S10 blazer, I figured there a number of them out there right now and could be readily available.

Rodeoman sounds like I want to go with a later model trooper or rodeo to get good components and a linkage?
Not real concerned with breakage nothing real hardcore and probably nothing over 35's to put under it any ways. just looking for a little stronger set up than the small axle thats there.

thanks for the site information as well.

Rodeoman

well if it were me I would see what is the width you are going to need first. Troopers only came with 12 bolt axle in rear and they are wider than Rodeo stuff. D44 was in Rodeos from 94 to 2004 and newer generation Amigo aka RodeoSport (new body style). 98 and after housings get a little funky when you want to use standard D44 parts in them so its a mix and match affair. since you are going to be fab your own links and mounts I would think that 94 to 97 D44 would be your better choice since there is much less to grind off of housing, you only have spring perches. Also I haven't seen 98 or newer at JY for a long long time, mostly older stuff.

Paudrhound

Again thanks, looking into width. looking to to gear down a little not much. That will be my next question when i am ready to start the thing.