IT Guys...where do you buy your servers?

Caleb

I'm looking at buying a server to have colocated. Currently I have a dedicated server but I'm wanting to get a much beefier box than I currently have and found I can have a 1U server colocated at the data center I use for about $100 less than I'm paying right now for my lesser dedicated box or a 2U for about $80 less. I'd like something with atleast 4 drives, preferably it has internal USB and be bootable from the USB. I plan to get about 16GB of memory. So where do you guys buy your servers? Any deals? I've been looking at Dell and actually found an R710 refurb (which is fine by me) for $2K (it's about a ~$4500 machine). I'm not brand loyal, but it does need to be a rack mounted server.

Anyone?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
If this is a personal server I'd piece one together. I've wishfully pieced together a few on newegg... but never hit the "buy" button. :rofl:

There's something to be said for big business servers and having an account at a place like Dell though. It's nice to have replacement warranty parts same day.

Caleb

We get most our equipment through Forsythe. But I'm probably buying a different animal than you (Sun). Tim York works for CDW (momentrider ) if you're looking for a contact on RME.

Well, I was also looking at the Sun X2270. I'll be running VMWare on it so I want an Intel, but other than that I'm open to most any brand.

If this is a personal server I'd piece one together. I've wishfully pieced together a few on newegg... but never hit the "buy" button. :rofl:

There's something to be said for big business servers and having an account at a place like Dell though. It's nice to have replacement warranty parts same day.

It is "personal" but I want the warranty of a Dell/HP/Sun/IBM/etc. It'll be in the data center I use, which is in Michigan. So when there's a problem with a part, I want to be able to call (whoever I go with) and tell them to send the drive to the data center for replacement.

I've used Dell (currently) at work, I've used HP, I've used Sun (have 6 pizza boxes in my basement rack right now :D), I've used IBM, and I've used homebrew boxes. The easiest to manage by far are any of the non-homebrew boxes. Even when the non-homebrew are out of warranty, they are still easier because I can still call someone and get whatever odd part failed sent to me. I may be able to go through my company and order (it'd be Dell if I did that), but it's generally more hassle than it's worth. Even when we order company servers, we have to have them delivered to our corporate site otherwise they'll get lost :rolleyes: Thanks for the suggestions so far guys.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Good point on the homebrews.

I know this will sound odd, but I've heard good things about HP server. :ugh:

Caleb

Good point on the homebrews.

I know this will sound odd, but I've heard good things about HP server. :ugh:

It doesn't sound odd at all. Up until the latest revision of Dells, (R Series) I think the HP was a by far nicer server. Nicer fit and finish (mostly the same internal parts so that's generally a toss up). I prefer the HP iLO to the Dell Drac for "offline" management. So yeah, not odd at all :D HP does tend to be a bit more expensive unless you can buy through an account. When I was at Rastar, we used nothing but HPs, now where I'm at, we use nothing but Dells.

78mitsu

One caution, until the gen3 servers Dell Poweredge servers were unable to enable the CPUs VT. The Cpu supports it, but the BIOS was unable to enable it. If you plan to have VMware support 64 bit guests it has to be enabled.