ITS Broken, and Im Without a paddle

Hey,
Im Dave, a newbie here and to the 4X4 world here in Utah. I have just purchased an 88 4 Runner but the motor (22RE) is not running. The engine has 162K on it and the truck was immaculate from the previous 1 owner whos wife drove it from day 1. Every record was kept from the first oil change to the last one.

One day the 4 Runner wouldnt start, so the owners son had a friend who changed the timing belt and replaced a few things like the water pump and other stuff. It still didnt start, so they took it to a mechanic who said that the engine was more than likely toast.:sick:

The engine has no compression in any of the 4 cylinders (odd) and the timing chain was recently replaced. I figured that the cam was 180%'s off, but when I pulled the valve cover and checked the crank timing, cam and distributer locations everything lined up correctly. I am totally lost here.:confused:

I am by no means a Toyota Guru, and this is my first import truck. My last
4X4 was an old chevy truck and it had no Vaccume lines and stuff.

I am almost begging for help. Im in the Army here in Utah and I live in Provo. The truck is on a trailer that I can bring just about anywhere in 5 min notice, and Im off work till thursday.
If you think you might be up to makeing a decient friend and want to teach/show or just help me get this thing running to go Wheeling please call me at 435-590-5572. Or you can reply to this post too. Im in Provo, Utah.

Anything you can offer will be greatly appreciated.
Dave

Last edited:

wrnchplr

free loader!!
Back in the day when I worked at a salvage yard we would put a tiny bit of gas in the sark plug hole then light it, makes a cool flame burns some hair but seems to work good for exanding the rings and uping the comp. Mits. had a problem with there rs/gs model eclipse, when you would crank the motor and not start it, you would get allot of gas in the cyl. it would wash the oil out and then presto no comp. I am in Idaho if you want to make the trip here I would be happy to help out.. I am installing a rebuilt motor this week and you can have the block from the old one if yours is toast...

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
No stress :) I have a hard time believing that all four cylinders have totally lost compression on their own (unless it was a 22RTE :rolleyes: ). If I where in your situation I would pull the timing cover and make sure that the chain/sprockets are in perfect alignment when the piston in hole 1 is at Top Dead Center and go from there.

The cam timing is really easy to mess up if the mechanic didn't know what he was doing, and getting the timing cover off is pretty strait forward just time consuming.

The 22RE's are almost as common as the Chevy small block, so finding an inexpensive replacement might be an alternative if all goes south...

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Hmm... It would be hard to tell without looking at it, but I'd still pull the timing cover, and look at the actual chain on the sprockets. You will have to pull all your accessories off the front of the block including the water pump and crank pulley ect.. ect... It's a start.

Honstly the 22R series engines will run forever, but even finding a all out replacement long block is sometimes easier that dealing with Gremlins....

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I wish I could help more :sick: I know that there are many members on this forum in your area that would be more than happy to swing by and point you in the right direction. Good Luck

Andrew

Well this is for anyone who is out there, I will gladly accept any help or guidence thay can offer. I know some people would want some sort of compensation, cant blame them, and thats ok too. I just want to get this thing running before thrusday so I can let my wife sleep in the mornings. Like I said, Im in provo and I am totally mobile to travel just about anywhere till wednesday night. My contact info is in the main topic.
Dave

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
Sounds to me like the cam timing is off. Very, very rare to have no compression on all cyl., check and see if they maybe tried to adjust valves and overtightened the studs, and its holding the valves open. If all else fails remove the timing cover and be absolutely positve they aligned everything right. I'd offer to come help, but I'm in Monticello.

forotacobra

5.0 INJECTED TOY
This might sound stupid but if it has a converter on it still check that . i had one that had no compression and the converter was pluged changed it and it fired right up worth looking it to.

Well a guy I met named Jason (my VW Mechanic introduced us) who works at a machine shop here in Provo helped me pull the head off. The Valves were slightly bent on the intake side, the cam turns but is really tight, and we still cant figure out how he replaced the timing chain, timing chain cover and water pump without pulling the head off.

Well the head will be getting redone with a valve job, 4 new valves, and possibly some machine work also.everything else looks pretty good. This guy really knows what he is doing and he has actually designed and built a 2.7L stroker that makes enough power to light the tires up in second on a roll on from an idle. If you want some contact info let me know.

I will post pics from after we get ecerytihng up and running when I get this thing out of the garage. Thank you all for your information and help.

Dave

-----UPDATE------
Well we went thru the head at Charleys MAchine Shop here in Provo. I would reccomend these guys to anybody. Very affordable and fast. Here is the answer to my big problem.

The 4 intake valves were bent ever so slightly because they touched the pistons. We fixed the issue with the cam and (honed) the cam journals. 4 new intake valves, and went thru the intake upper and lower manifoldes to remove the infamous Black Goo.
We put it all back together tonite and 5 hours later we went on a test drive. The engine runs really strong, and the 4 Runner drives like a dream with power and throttle responce thats crisp. Im impressed, really impressed. Anyone up for wheeling this weekend? I am wanting to know where a few trails are around here.
Dave

That is great you got it going. Check the up coming trails. There is one out at 5 mile pass. If you do not know where that is just go n on 15 and get off on the Lehi exit and go west. Not sure on how far it is out but I would guess it is about 30 min.