Jake Brake

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
I just bought a 2003 Dodge 2500 (24 valve cummings). Are Jake brakes easy for the novice to diesels to install? What type, where to buy ... if not a DIY, where should I take it? How much to expect for price?

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
Ouch ... was reading, apparently there are Old School Jake breaks, which actually involve cam shaft and exhaust values ... then there are simplier/cheaper "Exhaust Breaks" which simply butterfly value the exhaust header.

Heck I was figuring a couple hundred for an exhaust break ... dodge dealer wants 1300 bucks for the part!

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Whatever you do, do not call an exhaust brake a Jake Brake around any old dieselheads. They will treat you like you spit on the Virgin Mar... oops wrong state, like you spit on the Temple steps.

They work pretty well though, those exhaust brakes. I'd like one.

driller

Is your truck auto or manual? If it is an auto, you will also need a trans controller. The controller locks up the torque converter so your trans doesn't freewheel. I used the PAC Brake. Very easy install. I love it.

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
Is your truck auto or manual? If it is an auto, you will also need a trans controller. The controller locks up the torque converter so your trans doesn't freewheel. I used the PAC Brake. Very easy install. I love it.

6 speed manual --- I drove the duramax, dodge 5 speed, auto and 6 speed ... I really like the 6 ... I'm finding, non-tow, city driving I shift 2nd, 3rd, 5th. Orem to Heber - just get the darn thing in 6th and leave it there, anywhere from 35 (1000 rpm) to 65 (2500 rpm) does not matter and giving me 22.5mpg up the canyon!

It's awsome.

That PAC is 300 cheaper than the others! Gonna have to check that out if/when I end up towing two jeeps on one trailer.

Meat_

Banned
Whatever you do, do not call an exhaust brake a Jake Brake around any old dieselheads. They will treat you like you spit on the Virgin Mar... oops wrong state, like you spit on the Temple steps.

They work pretty well though, those exhaust brakes. I'd like one.
:rofl: I actually opened this thread to correct him -_-

Yes, you will burn up an auto if you just put an exhaust brake on it without a controler. Even then, the exhaust brake is hard on the auto.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Don't you need like I dunno, maybe.... a diesel before you need a brake?

I has me a deezel foo! I just dosn't has it in the trucks yet!!!

It's going in, soon I hope. Looking for garage space to get started on it. Even if mine wasn't full of crap, the truck won't fit anyway. Too long. :( And since I'll be hauling all kinds of stuff, up and down hills, the extra braking would be nice.

I already have a trans controller, too: it's a toggle switch to lock up the converter, courtesy of the PO. ;) Yeah, pimptastic. I should chrome the box it's in .:greg:

chadr

A friend of mine has a PAC Brake on his and loves it. They say it is easy to install, but I haven't done it myself. If it is an automatic, you will need some kind of transmission controler to help the torque converter from the PAC brake website.

http://www.pacbrake.com/

driller

:rofl: I actually opened this thread to correct him -_-

Yes, you will burn up an auto if you just put an exhaust brake on it without a controler. Even then, the exhaust brake is hard on the auto.

Actually you wouldn,t burn up the trans.. Because all the trans would do is free wheel when you let off the pedal. The cummins disengages the torque converter when the pedal goes to idle position.

78mitsu

The duramax has a software configuration that acts like a jake (it's not as good, but it's included with the truck), it t/h mode with a load on single tap the brake petal, it locks the tq and shifts the trans down and changes the ignition timing to hold back so the engine works against the load, works pretty good. If you don't tow with one you'd never know it was there in a test drive.

Meat_

Banned
Actually you wouldn,t burn up the trans.. Because all the trans would do is free wheel when you let off the pedal. The cummins disengages the torque converter when the pedal goes to idle position.

Actually no, it doesn't disengage until the engine reaches idle BIG difference. If you are going down hill enough for the trans to keep pressure on the engine, it doesn't disengage.

Meat_

Banned
Go find yourself a good steep hill and pull your trailer down it. Lock out O/D and let your foot off the pedal, the trans will not disengage until you hit something less than real steep.