Jean Shepherd's "In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash"

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Mr. Shepherd was never much for book reports in school (he was strictly a C+ guy) so I figured I’d write a review in his vein.

“In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash”
by
Jean Shepherd​

In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash is about this old guy named Ralph who goes back to his hometown of Hohman, Indiana from New York. He stops at a bar to see his friend from school, Flick, and ends up spending the whole day talking about their school days during the Depression.

There are lots of stories about fights, blind dates, fishing and getting a Genuine Red Ryder BB gun with a special Red Ryder sight and a compass in the stock with a sundial for Christmas (fortunately, he did not shoot his eye out). Most of the stories are when he was in elementary school, but some are when he is older. Things that happened to him as a kid seemed to have a lot of affect on Hohman, Indiana and all of the Midwest. He must have been very important as a kid.

I think books like this are very exciting, and In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash is a very exciting book. It has two hundred and sixty four pages, and I think anyone would enjoy reading In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash.

Drat! Only one hundred and ninety-two words and I need two hundred! What more can I add? Umm… Umm… Wait? Is that Little Orphan Annie on the radio? Can’t miss that, I just got my decoder ring today! One ninety-two is good enough. After all, I’m a strictly C+ guy too.

(Next up: Revolution 1989 by Victor Sebestyen)