jeep 2.5l and full size axles good or bad

kawzx10

Anybody running a 4 Banger Jeep on full size axles? My dad is tired of breaking axles so we are thinking of upgrading it to full size axles. He is worried about it being to much to turn with the little motor. It may stay a DD for a while but he has a pretty short commute with no freeway runs. He is running 35" tires and thinking of running 4.56 gears. He also has a doubler so I don't think it will be to bad off road.

The other concerns are clearance on the dif with only 35" tires. He wants to run a 14bolt. I am thinking we will probably have to shave it. What do you guys think? Lastly if he doesn't have the money to get a d60 front by Easter how bad would it be to run a d44? I have read some people say they are no better than a d30. I guess we are just looking for some opinions before we jump into this. Thanks guys.

planman

A 14 bolt or a 60 is overkill for 35s.

44s should handle 35s with no problems on a lighter, 4 cyl jeep.

JK Rubi 44s could easily handle 37s on a light 4 cyl jeep. With chromoly shafts and some front axle gussets and truss or sleeves, they handle 37s on a heavy 4 dr JK.

The biggest problem you run into with the 4 cyl is that the AX-5 tranny can't handle really rough use.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I had ford 9" axles front and rear with my 4 cyl yj. I loved them. Beefy and good clearance. I went with 4.88s and 35s. Drove well. I had a doubler too with a 4 to 1. Great off road.

kawzx10

Broke axle shafts and r&p a couple times in front and rear. I should also mention a 5.3l is planned. Just depends on funds.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I am running a 4 cylinder on one tons pushing 42s and in high range it kinda sucks but in low range with a 4 to 1 it kicks ass I would swap in some 44s if I were doing this build.

gertsch

60 and 14 is over kill for 35's. You will at least want 40's. If you use real 44's that don't use the small axle tubes. Aka wrangler 44s use the same tubes as Dana 30's so the real benefiet is ring and pinion.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I started reading this but what's the benefit of the 5.2 over the 5.3.

PM him and get his number, he will tell you how easy it was overall, I think he was even able to keep his stock rear shaft length. With its current upgrades and on A/T's, my 5.2 will break all 4 tires loose on dry pavement. Best thing is you can get up around 300hp/360tq on regular unleaded.

i am in the process of getting rid of my 30/35 and have decided to go with a hp44/9" and i have the 9'' in now and love it . i also plan to stay with 35s maybe 37s but thats way down the road . i couldnt justify 60s and staying with 35s .. just my 2

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Cause it's still mopar?

All the more reason not to do it. I'd bet that a 5.3 swap could be had cheaper than the 5.2 swap anyways.

Why are 60s and 14 bolts overkill for 35's? It's all in the driver, and what you're driving on/over. If you are putting a 60 in a mall crawler on 35s, then yes, it's overkill. But, I have seen people break 60 shafts with 33s.
The JK 44s (in stock form) aren't much of an upgrade over the stock axles in any wrangler, and by the time you upgrade them to where they will hold up, you would be better off (time and money) just doing the 60 swap.

Understand that this is just my opinion. :)

thenag

Anybody running a 4 Banger Jeep on full size axles? My dad is tired of breaking axles so we are thinking of upgrading it to full size axles. He is worried about it being to much to turn with the little motor. It may stay a DD for a while but he has a pretty short commute with no freeway runs. He is running 35" tires and thinking of running 4.56 gears. He also has a doubler so I don't think it will be to bad off road.

The other concerns are clearance on the dif with only 35" tires. He wants to run a 14bolt. I am thinking we will probably have to shave it. What do you guys think? Lastly if he doesn't have the money to get a d60 front by Easter how bad would it be to run a d44? I have read some people say they are no better than a d30. I guess we are just looking for some opinions before we jump into this. Thanks guys.

ah this topic again...

When I had a Bronco I used to tell jeep guys to get a 14 bolt instead of a rear 60 or something else, you will pay about the same for any JY rear axle so why not buy one that a 6500lb bronco with a big block can't break instead of one that a 6500lb bronco can break.

Since he is breaking stuff it is worth upgrading.

a 14 bolt will hang down quite a bit with 35's, it can be ground down to get the lip off but it is still huge without doing an actual shave and custom diff cover. But would you rather get hung up or have to carry spare shafts?

as far as the front, if you are patient you can get 60's these days for under $1000.00. (watch the classifieds on here) I know that is about $800.00 more than a full width d44. If you go with the d44 it should hold up fine, but as you break something you are going to kick yourself for not going with the 60.

It seems like you have the question if the 4 cyl has enough power to push a bigger axle, in theory it shouldn't take much more than the stock axle, but it always seems to me when you add stuff (like adding a doubler) that there is more drag on the motor.

If he thinks he is going to go bigger than 35's and a v8 swap do the d60 up front.

I always say this is not a cheap hobby. (then I look at rock monkey's build and think maybe I am wrong...)

again just my opinion

nathan
build thread
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?83436-Nathan-and-Tanja-s-99-XJ-Build-up

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
All the more reason not to do it. I'd bet that a 5.3 swap could be had cheaper than the 5.2 swap anyways.

I am going to have to disagree, when I did the swap and finished parting everything out I made over $300:D After all of the research of doing a 5.3L swap I came to the realization that it was going to be cheaper for me to do the 5.2. I also had a lot less things to worry about by keeping it MOPAR. It is a very simple swap, minus the PITA wiring.
But it is just another debate that could go on forever, I went with the 5.2 and I love it and will do another in my DD. If anyone has any questions about it feel free to shoot me a PM.

Last edited: