Jeep 4.0 weird engine prob.

spiderman

Amish dude
Okay, my buddy was towing a trailer with his 94 grand cherokee, and all of a sudden it started missing. This happened under load, trailer was about 2,000 pounds. He pulled the spark plugs, and on the number 3 plug, it looked like these pics. One side kind of reddish brownish, the other side looked like it had oil caked on it. I was thinking maybe a bad valve guide, causing oil to drip down onto the plug, and then the plug would heat up, and bake the oil onto the plug? Do 4.0's have problems with valves/guides, etc. very often? Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. P.s. sorry, the pics didn't turn out very well.

slamurai

MY PRECIOUS
Thats a self lubing feature.

I would strongly recommend swapping in the samurai 1.3 big block. It runs like a champ-250,000 mi on original plugs. I have one on hand if you are interested.

P

pokeyYJ

With a spark plug discoloring, maybe the car overheated? I too would try and replace the plugs and maybe check the wires for too much resistance, there should be EXTREMELY low resistance in plug wires.

Question? Isn't redish brown indicating the plug was too hot?? Who's got a Haynes manual???

P

pokeyYJ

After looking at the pictures closer and consulting with a coworker ;) I think that maybe you were getting some pre-detonation, look at the second picture and see the small white portion on the electrode area, looks like it got chipped. Could have been cause by too low of a grade of fuel.

pokeyYJ said:
After looking at the pictures closer and consulting with a coworker ;) I think that maybe you were getting some pre-detonation, look at the second picture and see the small white portion on the electrode area, looks like it got chipped. Could have been cause by too low of a grade of fuel.

Especially under towing, although, your computer should advance/ your timing and acount for this. You also should have been able to hear detonation, seems like the most likely problem to me though.

P

pokeyYJ

crimsonride said:
Especially under towing, although, your computer should advance/ your timing and acount for this.

This is true, but too a point. The computer can only adjust the timing to specified values and no farther. This is esp. true with pre-OBDII vehicles, and, if I am not mistaken, the pre-OBDII Jeep 4.0's were distributor contoled spark management, thereby limiting the available adjustment even more. Vehicles with distributorless ignition have more control over timing advance, but again only to certain preprogramed limits.

spiderman

Amish dude
Sorry for the delay, haven't been at the computer for a while. Did a compression test, and the cylinder with the bad plug tested 10 pounds lower than any of the others, but none were very high. No preignition/detonation that the owner is aware of. He always puts in some octane boost crap. But the new plug is starting to do the same thing. I am leaning toward a valve guide or something like that. Oh, well.